April 29, 2024, 06:42:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Bond order  (Read 21474 times)

Offline artem.metelskiy

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Bond order
« on: March 03, 2011, 06:55:41 PM »
First I'm asked to draw Lewis structures and important resonance structures for NO2F    I did it:

Than Im asked what is the bond order of the N-O bond in NO2F?
 Would i say double bond as in resonance structure?

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Re: Bond order
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 04:12:17 AM »
The first structure that you drew seems to be incorrect.

Here's a suggestion : Just add a pi bond to one of the N-O pi bonds in the first structure, and a positive charge on N is inevitable, so is the negative charge on the other O, which is still attached via a single bond to the N.

Sorry, but there seems to be some problem with Chemdraw in my laptop, and paint is so damn boring :P So, I just typed out the structure.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline artem.metelskiy

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 01:45:45 AM »
Here's a suggestion : Just add a pi bond to one of the N-O pi bonds in the first structure, and a positive charge on N is inevitable, so is the negative charge on the other O, which is still attached via a single bond to the N.

For this problem we haven't learned pi bonds yet, would it be ok if I just say N-O Bond Order = 2?

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 01:07:23 PM »
No, I guess it would be wrong to say bond order = 2
It is actually greater than one, but less than 2... it is 1.5, i think. The fractional bond order is due to delocalization of electrons (resonance)
Please correct me if I am wrong.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Sponsored Links