April 24, 2024, 03:05:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Optics Question  (Read 6198 times)

Offline KurzickMushroom

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Optics Question
« on: August 29, 2009, 10:52:10 PM »
Hey guys, I got this optics problem I don't understand. I drew out the diagram but still don't understand which forumla to apply. I am extremely confused over why the index of refraction for water is given, I'm not sure where that comes in.   

A person stands beside his swimming pool, which is full of water. His eyes are at a level 1.6 m directly above the edge of the pool, and looks directly across the pool which is 7 m wide. Light from the bottom corner opposite him arrives at his eye in such a direction that the apparent depth of water, h, is 0.3 m. If the Refractive Index of water is 4/3, calculate H, the actual depth of the pool.

Thank you in advance.
-Kurzick Mushroom

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Optics Question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 11:43:49 PM »
Remember that light will refract or bend at the air-water interface and the angle that it refracts is dependent on the difference index of refraction between water and air.  You can calculate this angle using Snell's law.

Offline KurzickMushroom

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 10:46:20 AM »
Remember that light will refract or bend at the air-water interface and the angle that it refracts is dependent on the difference index of refraction between water and air.  You can calculate this angle using Snell's law.

They don't give you any angles. You need at least one angle describing the ray before you can apply Snell's law. Is it implied or stated in the question?

Offline zxt

• Mole Snacks: +3/-5
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 11:57:09 AM »
sinA/sinB=4/3,A is the incident angle and B is refractional angel. Also, you should find out the incident point where the normal stands. Next, there are similar triangles for you to calculate the angles and lengths and finally my answer is 1.06m, right or not?

Offline KurzickMushroom

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 04:59:52 PM »
sinA/sinB=4/3,A is the incident angle and B is refractional angel. Also, you should find out the incident point where the normal stands. Next, there are similar triangles for you to calculate the angles and lengths and finally my answer is 1.06m, right or not?

Your answer is right, thank you but I'm still trying to understand this...

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 11:24:42 PM »
They don't give you any angles. You need at least one angle describing the ray before you can apply Snell's law. Is it implied or stated in the question?

You should be able to calculate the angle from the values given (using trigonometry).  When you draw your diagram, remember that your eye will assume that light from the apparent bottom of the pool had traveled in a straight line through the air-water interface, whereas the light had really bent at the air-water interface.

Offline zxt

• Mole Snacks: +3/-5
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 10:14:08 AM »

Find out 7-x and tanC. Hope this helps.

Offline mogley

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 08:30:32 PM »
i still cant get that answer...how do you get that answer??

Sponsored Links