April 26, 2024, 08:35:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Breakdown of caclium from a solid  (Read 6071 times)

Fluxburn

Breakdown of caclium from a solid
« on: April 19, 2005, 08:02:48 PM »
I have this nasty calcium deposit build up near the drain of my bathtub at this apartment. The only thing that removes the build up is a lot of work using pumice stones to slowly remove the buildup.

Is there any chemical of any kind that will actually help chemically break down calcium? So in chemical terms I want to turn the calcium into aqueous form.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:Breakdown of caclium from a solid
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 10:34:54 PM »
Use an acidic cleaning product.  The buildup is most likely calcium carbonate (chalk) or calcium sulfate.  If you use an acidic cleaning product, you'll make the calcium salt soluble in water so it will wash away.  Something like CLR or muriatic acid will do a good job at removing the buildup.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re:Breakdown of caclium from a solid
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 08:42:48 PM »
I used bleahc on my bath tub and scrubed. WARNING make sure you have good ventilation and rubber gloves. I got a chemical burn on my hand from the chlorine in the bleach and my eyes stung, and I was coughing alot. I learnt my lesson about halogen gases. Also I heard that pouring very salty water  in a tub and letting it sit for a while will work.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links