April 17, 2024, 11:33:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: plastics resistant to sulphuric acid  (Read 12063 times)

Offline tonypol

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
plastics resistant to sulphuric acid
« on: March 09, 2011, 04:21:12 AM »
I am trying to find the pouring code for plastic used to make batteries, because i have a 48v battery bank made up of 24x 2v cells, and a couple of them have minor leaks were the top lid of the battery seals to the side wall. I have been unable to locate any type of sealant that can withstand the concentration of acid used in batteries, so instead I wish to match the plastic codes so I can plastic weld the joins

Offline rjb

• Mole Snacks: +17/-0
Re: plastics resistant to sulphuric acid
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 06:32:51 AM »
Tonypol,

The plastic used in most lead-acid batteries is polypropylene. It is fairly resistant to Sulphuric acid and should be fine for the typical H2SO4 conc. in a Pb-acid battery of 28-33%. Interesting link below...

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/polypropylene-pp-chemical-resistance-d_435.html

Kind Regards

R

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: plastics resistant to sulphuric acid
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:09:04 PM »
Some polyolefin, agreed! Polypropylene, polyethylene...

There may be an alternative. You know the white glue sold in solid rods that you apply melted by a hot glue gun? They smell paraffinic/waxy and are most probably a polyolefin - I bet it's EPDM from its elasticity and creep behaviour.

I would give this glue a try, after maybe checking EPDM's behaviour in sulphuric acid. These rods are meant to serve as glue and make easily good tight joints - it needs less training than plastic welding.

And once you have such a glue gun, you'll use it everywhere, it's just a nicely working toy.

Sponsored Links