April 19, 2024, 05:58:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: buffers  (Read 8553 times)

Offline b323

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
buffers
« on: March 10, 2011, 04:26:23 PM »
If a solution is created by dissolving 1.935 g of sodium acetate in 850 mL of 0.405 M acetic acid at 25 degrees C, what is the concentration of the acetate ion in the final solution? Assume that the volume of the solution does not change. Ka for acetic acid is 1.8*10^-5 at 25 degrees C.

Offline rabolisk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +45/-25
Re: buffers
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 04:29:01 PM »
Please attempt the problem first.

Offline b323

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 04:37:33 PM »
I tried to find the moles of odium acetate, which turned out to be 0.02359 and the moles of acetic acid which is 0.34425. Then I did an "Ice" table with acetic acid going into H+ and the acetate ion, using Ka to find the concentration of the acetate ion and the hydronium ion.  I found them to both be 0.0027 M. From there I do not know what to do though.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 05:31:07 PM »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline rabolisk

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 06:03:18 PM »
Then I did an "Ice" table with acetic acid going into H+ and the acetate ion, using Ka to find the concentration of the acetate ion and the hydronium ion. I found them to both be 0.0027 M.

This is not right. Remember that the dissociation of acetic acid will be affected by the acetate that is already present in solution. Once you get the (correct) value for the amount of acetate, all you have to do is divide that by the volume to get its concentration.

HH equation is actually unnecessary because the question does not ask for pH.

Offline b323

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 07:53:55 PM »
So do I need to find the amount of acetate that comes from the sodium acetate and the amount that comes from the acetic acid, add the number of moles from each then divide by volume? How do I go about doing this without the HH equation? I first thought that a balance equation of sodium acetate and acetic acid was necessary, but I was unable to come up with one for this solution.

Offline rabolisk

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 10:20:02 PM »
Do you understand how to calculate with the common ion effect? You are basically doing calculation for dissociation of acetic acid, but the initial concentration of acetate is not 0.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 04:06:07 AM »
HH equation is actually unnecessary because the question does not ask for pH.

My bad, shouldn't answer too fast.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Shelly A. Henry

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 10:17:37 AM »
It makes my head rock and roll. i will try to figure out on my own answers. Hahaha!

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 10:40:55 AM »
If a solution is created by dissolving 1.935 g of sodium acetate in 850 mL of 0.405 M acetic acid.
What is the concentration of the acetate ion in the final solution? Assume that the volume of the solution does not change
Neither temperature nor Ka are neded for solution of this simple stoichiometric problem.
just convert mass of acetate into moles and then use definotion of the molar concentration (moles per volume in Liters)
AWK

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 03:57:55 PM »
Neither temperature nor Ka are neded for solution of this simple stoichiometric problem.
just convert mass of acetate into moles and then use definotion of the molar concentration (moles per volume in Liters)

You have fallen into the same trap I did.

Not that the difference is large, less than 1%, so it makes me wonder what the intended answer to the question is.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 05:58:48 AM »
just convert mass of acetate into moles and then use definition of the molar concentration (moles per volume in Liters)

You have fallen into the same trap I did.

Not that the difference is large, less than 1%, so it makes me wonder what the intended answer to the question is.
If a solution is created by dissolving 1.935 g of sodium acetate in 850 mL of 0.405 M acetic acid at 25 degrees C, what is the concentration of the acetate ion in the final solution?
There is no pH calculation as title "Buffers" suggests. May be you can check this problem with your software.
The large excess of acetic acid (about 20 times) is large enough to neglect the hydrolysis of acetate anion.
AWK

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 06:56:32 AM »
There is no pH calculation as title "Buffers" suggests. May be you can check this problem with your software.

I did before posting.

The large excess of acetic acid (about 20 times) is large enough to neglect the hydrolysis of acetate anion.

At equilibrium there is 0.02775M of Na+ and 0.02812M of acetate in the solution - concentration of acetate is about 1% higher than what you put into solution. While assumption that concentration is just a stoichiometric one is not bad, it doesn't give exact result.

Sponsored Links