March 28, 2024, 07:42:38 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: NH4Cl and H20 reaction  (Read 21456 times)

bhshawnbob

NH4Cl and H20 reaction
« on: September 14, 2005, 12:07:40 PM »
I'm interested in the reaction of NH4Cl (sal ammoniac) and water.  I've been trolling google for basic info.  Mostly I end up with chemistry tests.  Specifically I'm interested in the higher temperature reactivity of a supersaturated solution.

#1) I know the reaction is endothermic but I'm looking for the actual KJ of heat absorbed/mol of NH4Cl.

#2) Where can I find solubility info on the saturation of NH4Cl in water?

#3) MOST IMPORTANT: What are the issues of this reaction at higher temperatures. I.E. if this reaction took place inside a sealed vessel up to 65 deg C.  Does it make gasseous HCl or ammonia, and is it reversable if cooled?  I don't want to make any dangerous byproducts.

#4) What happens if the mixture goes up to 175 deg. C?  Would this be really bad?
What is the worst case scenario with this reaction?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:NH4Cl and H20 reaction
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 01:08:41 PM »
I've been trolling google for basic info.

You are trolling chemistryforums right now. Please don't crosspost.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

bhshawnbob

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 02:27:45 PM »
My apologies.
I thought perhaps I originally posted it in the wrong forum and that it belonged under "inorganic" rather than "general".  I was only trying to get it in the right place.  At first I did not realize that the board had multiple topic indexes and how that they were arranged on the site.
I also did not think that people routinely read posts across multiple sections.
It won't happen again.

Thanks,
Shawnbob

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 03:16:47 PM »
No problem.

If your post will be completely out of topic (but chemical) it will be moved to appropriate forum by moderator. Sometimes it is not obvious where to post, but most knowledgeable people here browse more than one forum, so whether you post to General Chemistry or Inorganic, your post will be readed by them.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links