April 26, 2024, 05:46:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Confused with mechanism  (Read 3340 times)

Offline hanji

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Confused with mechanism
« on: March 26, 2011, 03:38:45 PM »
So I started with 3-methoxybenzaldehyde and ended with 2-(3-methoxybenzylidene)succinic acid.    This was done as a Stobe Condensation so diethyl succinate was used.  The firststep was to treat the diethyl succinate with NaOMe and what happens is that a carbanion forms which acts as a nucleophile and attacks the carbonyl of 3-methoxybenzaldehyde.  Subsequent steps involved diluting with water, washing with ether and then acidifying the aqueous layer with conc. HCl...    I checked some mechanisms online but I'm mainly confused with how both carboxylic forms are formed in
2-(3-methoxybenzylidene) succinic acid.     Thank you in advance

Offline hanji

Re: Confused with mechanism
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 03:49:10 PM »
If further explanation is needed I'll be happy to try and answer your questions....

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 04:18:39 PM »
If you've checked the mechanism, as you've claimed, you'll see it only accounts for the creation of one carboxylate. Look at your workup. How else might an ester have been hydrolyzed?
Individual results may vary

Offline hanji

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 05:02:25 PM »
Im sorry I forgot to add that after adding the 3-methoxybenzaldehyde I let it reflux for about 2 hours and then I added 5M NaOH and let it reflux overnight.  When I added the NaOH a precipitate formed which eventually redissolved.  I would go with that the NaOH hydrolyzed the ester off forming the carbxylic acid? So this means a carboxylate is not formed in this position.      So the acid workup at the end was only to protonate the previously formed carboxylate?       Thank you I appreciate the help

Offline hanji

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 09:56:07 AM »
And if it's a Stobbe CONDENSATION... then shouldn't we have loss of a water molecule somewhere?

Offline hanji

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 10:17:56 AM »
Sorry about my previous post ... I now realize that a carboxylate is formed in both positions...  the Na+ acts as a counter ion

Sponsored Links