April 19, 2024, 09:52:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Online Journal Article Security  (Read 7859 times)

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
Online Journal Article Security
« on: April 01, 2006, 09:01:07 PM »
I just have a random question.

I've discovered that if I try to access particular journal articles from home, the site won't let me read them...it'll have a "Log In to View Article" button or something similar.

This doesn't happen at my University of course...because they have a subscription.  So it lets me view the article.

But if I take the URL of the journal article for certain publications, and type that URL directly into my computer at home...that it'll let me view the article.

I'm not all-knowing when it comes to journals, so maybe there's a reason for this.   Or maybe viewing journal articles in this manner is illegal, because you're not buying a subscription...even though you need a subscription to get the URL in the first place?

I didn't know where to post this, but it's more of a question, so I put it here.

If anyone has any insight, I'd love to hear it...and if this is taboo and shouldn't be talked about, feel free to delete the post (just leave a clue or a PM so I'm not looking around for nothing :) )

Thanks

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:Online Journal Article Security
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 09:06:03 PM »
Most publishers worth their salt won't let you view their articles unless they recognize your ip as a subscription holder. If you found a publisher where this is not the case, than they obviously have not updated their website for the 21st century.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 09:06:31 PM by Mitch »
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
Re:Online Journal Article Security
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 09:17:52 PM »
Noted :P

Sponsored Links