April 27, 2024, 11:35:17 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: reaction using a-pinene oxide  (Read 9891 times)

Offline please5

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
reaction using a-pinene oxide
« on: March 27, 2011, 05:03:59 AM »
a-pinene oxide is reacted with sulfric acid to create a molecule with m/z of 170. The reaction is occurs by adding hexane and then later washing the solid with water but i think that the hexane is simply used as a solvent and that the solid is simply washed with water. can someone help me figure out the product? i know that because of ring strain a carbocation shift occurs or a structure similar to limonene is created but i cannot figure out how a molecule with a mass of 170 is created since a-pinene oxide has a mass of 152 and this reaction is all about carbocation shifts.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 05:15:21 AM by please5 »

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
Re: reaction using a-pinene oxide
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 08:13:17 AM »
You're on the right track, but since there was a mass shift, you need to determine what caused it.

Think about the reactivity of carbocations: they can rearrange, but they can react in other ways as well.

What's the difference between 170 and 152? What ubiquitous molecule has the same mass?
Individual results may vary

Offline please5

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 12:59:58 PM »
damm... i cant figure out where the extra mass of 18 is coming from. i find it improbable that 18 more hydrogens are attached or that hexane (which i assume is simply the solvent) is somehow involved since its mass is 72. And since only one product is created (i think), i dont think that a-pinene oxide reacts with itself.

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 01:46:14 PM »
Even concentrated sulfuric acid isn't pure H2SO4. There's at least one other molecule in there. What's its mass? Is it capable of adding to a carbocation?
Individual results may vary

Offline nox

• Mole Snacks: +11/-3
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 04:00:41 PM »
^Arguably it's the most abundant molecule on Earth.

Sponsored Links