March 28, 2024, 03:11:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Iron acetate  (Read 2798 times)

Offline kevinnn

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
Iron acetate
« on: April 03, 2011, 01:48:00 AM »
Any info i could get to help me learn i would really appreciate. I am making iron acetate and  i am using a simple process of taking about one square inch of fine steel wool and placing it in 2 cups of white vinegar and placing plastic wrap over the top.  It has to sit over night to be complete. What i have abserved is little bubbles slowly comming from the steel wool and floating to the top... What are these bubbles, what reaction is occuring??  And also about 2 hours into the process the steel wool is now floating, is this because of all the little small bubbles of the dicrease in density u thaink???  Also does it have to sit over night because that is when all the steel wool is disolved, is there a certan ratio to ratio amount of steel wool and vinegar that makes iron acetate what it is instead of something else, and why do we have to cover up the whole thaing with plastic wrap, so the gases from the bubbles dont escape??? What do these bubbles actually do to tje reaction itself?? Thanks for any and all help.

Offline DevaDevil

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +55/-9
  • postdoc at ANL
Re: Iron acetate
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 11:08:06 AM »
the acetate remains at 1-
The iron oxidizes (Fe (s) --> Fex+ + xe- (where x is the valency the iron will have, 2 or 3 or a mixture)

What will then most likely be the reaction that takes up the electrons and has a gas as poduct?

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
Re: Iron acetate
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 10:26:43 AM »
To know what the bubbles are, what happens when you add some acid to a metal like iron or zinc or magnesium?
sulfuric acid?
nitric acid?
hydrochloric acid?
What are the products?

Search it in your favorite book.

Sponsored Links