April 26, 2024, 11:47:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Enantiomer / Diastereomer Chemical and Physical Properties  (Read 8041 times)

Offline [sammich

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Enantiomer / Diastereomer Chemical and Physical Properties
« on: April 06, 2011, 12:03:29 PM »
Alright so I know the common answer:
Enantiomers - same chemical and physical properties
Diastereomers - different chemical and physical properties

In lecture, our professor said that enantiomers can have different biological effects. I was confused because, as he had said earlier, they have the same chemical properties. I did some research into it and found that enantiomers react differently with chiral molecules. Therefore because there is an exception to the rule, by definition of chemical property, enantiomers do not always have the same chemical properties.

That was 3 weeks ago.

Today we had an exam, and unexpectedly, there were 2 T/F questions exactly as follows:

___ Enantiomers have the same chemical and physical properties

___ Diastereomers have the same chemical and physical properties

I didn't even think about it and marked FALSE for both. Now I'm sitting here kicking myself because I know my professor is going to mark the first question wrong. I'm trying to get all my facts straight so when I get the test back, I can explain my reasoning to him, and that his question did not specify if the enantiomers were in achiral environments.

My logic is as below: (Sorry, could only think of it using discrete math notation: upsidedown A means "for all", backwards E means "there exists")

If I wasn't rushing to finish the exam in time, I would've been more thorough and remembered that there was a discrepancy between the lecture and what I had found, and I would have asked him to clarify the question. He's a very educated guy, and very approachable, so I will be able to explain my reasoning. But... before I make a fool of myself, I just want to make sure that I am not mistaken

So... Am I misinterpreting something?

Thanks in advance!

Offline willug

• Mole Snacks: +4/-3
Re: Enantiomer / Diastereomer Chemical and Physical Properties
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 03:31:08 PM »
You were quire right to put false against 'enantiomers have the same chemical and physical properties'... If he marks that wrong ask him to explain polarimetery, chiral chromatography, and enzyme mediated resolutions! :)

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:27:23 AM »
Surely he intended this to refer to chemical properties with other achiral chemicals, but you are correct that not all chemical properties are identical for enantiomers.  He should have been more clear in the wording of the question.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 11:32:29 AM »
There is only one true or false question that should ever be asked in Chemistry, and that is, Chemistry Rocks true or false.

Offline [sammich

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 10:57:54 AM »
Follow up:

Got the exam back today, and as expected, the question was marked wrong. After he has us come pick up the exams, he hangs around the front of the room in case we have questions. I approached him, and he said that my answer was incorrect. I said, "I thought enantiomers react with chiral molecules differently, that's why they have the different biological effects."

He paused for a second, and responded, "That's something that's more in the Biological Chemistry department, for our class we're talking about achiral environments."

I asked, "But technically I am correct, right?"

He said yes.

After most of the students had left, I was walking out of the door and the professor was directly behind me. When we were outside, he says, "Bring your exam back on Monday, I'll go ahead and give you an extra point for that problem."

Thanks everyone for your responses! They are much appreciated :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 11:43:05 AM »
Good for you. And high five for the professor.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 12:48:01 PM »
Also glad to hear you got the points you deserved.
Individual results may vary

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 06:33:01 PM »
Nice!  I am glad he decided to give the points back.  Perhaps he will word his questions more carefully in the future!

Sponsored Links