April 20, 2024, 07:57:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesis of metal oxide composite using precipitation method v coprecipitation  (Read 5819 times)

Offline fendi

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi all, this is my first post. I am a newbie in metal oxide synthesis.
I hope i can learn many things in this forum  :)
I have a question. I have read some references regarding synthesis of MgLa oxide.
In one reference, they used KOH solution to precipitate the metal oxide precursor, and they called this method as precipitation method. The other researcher used the mixture of KOH and K2CO3 to precipitate the metal precursor, and they called this method as co-precipitation method.
My silly question is what is the difference between precipitation and co-precipitation method, is the difference only in the type of precipitation agent (single precipitation agent and mixture of precipitation agent)? And I think the use of different precipitation agent will impact the ratio of Mg/La in the final product, is it correct?

Please advide.

Regards,

Fendi

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Coprecipitation is not because it is a mixture of reagents. In coprecipitation, you have soluble molecules precipitate out with the insoluble molecules. Maybe they are stuck in the lattice of the precipitated molecules or just absorbed onto the surface of the precipitate.

I can not tell you if they really did coprecipitation or just called it that, though.

Offline fendi

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Coprecipitation is not because it is a mixture of reagents. In coprecipitation, you have soluble molecules precipitate out with the insoluble molecules. Maybe they are stuck in the lattice of the precipitated molecules or just absorbed onto the surface of the precipitate.

I can not tell you if they really did coprecipitation or just called it that, though.

hi, thank you for your answer. If you do not mind, I have another questions.
You said "Maybe they are stuck in the lattice of the precipitated molecules or just absorbed onto the surface of the precipitate."  is the word "they" refer to precipitation agent?  In the precipitation method, the precipitation agent do not absorbed onto the surface of precipitate?

regards

Sponsored Links