April 24, 2024, 01:08:22 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Lab Glassware Identification/Authentication  (Read 5256 times)

Offline mmoore1717

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Lab Glassware Identification/Authentication
« on: December 18, 2012, 11:36:17 AM »
I am hoping to get a quick response here. I currently have a chance to get a nice set of lab glassware and was needing to know if this is indeed lab glassware or some knock off as i have never seen it in any of my labs. The glassware is not your typical Pyrex, but something called T.C.W. USA. as all of the bottles have this molded on the bottom. They are chemical reagent bottles with ground glass stoppers and i was also wondering, if these are genuine lab glassware reagent bottles, are they antique or something as i have never seen these in any of my labs, it is typically always Pyrex or an unmarked maker.

Thanks for any future comments.

Offline eazye1334

• Mole Snacks: +18/-1
Re: Lab Glassware Identification/Authentication
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 11:44:39 AM »
Anything simiar to this? Everything I see appears to indicate they are along the lines of "vintage". I can't remember exactly, but I sweat I have seen that TCW marking somewhere before on a piece of labware.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 11:47:14 AM »
Wheaton Industries?  Wheaton Science Products?

Offline mmoore1717

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 12:08:19 PM »
Anything simiar to this? Everything I see appears to indicate they are along the lines of "vintage". I can't remember exactly, but I sweat I have seen that TCW marking somewhere before on a piece of labware.

Yes, it is simular to that, but the markings look older on what i am looking at. The ones you referenced seem almost machine made, but the ones i am looking at have an almost hand blown look. Here is a link http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-T-C-W-Wheaton-Glass-Co-Apothecary-Jar-4-/190635824896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c62c7d700, to one that is similar in markings. I guess what my question is, if these are an antique, would it be ok to use them for lab chemicals or are they weaker than today's bottles or are they a collectible? I am a little at a loss when it comes to older lab equipment  :-\

Thanks for the response.

Sponsored Links