March 29, 2024, 12:47:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Concentrate energy drink?  (Read 7242 times)

Offline SirJMD

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Concentrate energy drink?
« on: April 17, 2011, 08:30:46 AM »
I live in a country where energy drinks may only contain a very small amount of caffeine (32 mg / 100 ml). Due to that, i would like to concentrate the energy drink with heating.

From what ive been reading, caffeine boils at 178°C. But im unsure whether heating the energy drink will damage the caffeine - or even vaporate it. Coffee is brewed at some ~90°C, so i would think it would work.

But i wouldnt mind an advice from someone with a bit more chemical knowledge ;)

Thanks in advance!

Offline Stepan

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
  • Air Chemistry Man
    • Supplier of air sampling equipment and services
Re: Concentrate energy drink?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 06:18:36 PM »
Take 1 cup of coffee espresso.

Offline SirJMD

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 02:48:04 AM »

Please stay on topic :)

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 11:40:37 AM »
Yes, you could take 10 energy drinks and slowly evaporate them down to the volume of 1 combined and you will have almost 10X the caffeine most likely. You are going to lose and decompose something, so it might be closer to 9 times.

However, it is very likely it will taste absolutely horrible and be really bad for you in other ways. Depending on what the flavorings and other chemicals added, you might not really want to take concentrated doses of that.

It is not all that hard to extract caffeine from tea: (http://science.csustan.edu/almy/3012/caffeine.htm). Note, taking lots of caffeine at once is actually very dangerous.

Offline SirJMD

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
Thanks enahs.

As with anything: Large doses can kill you. Even water, O2, suger, salt etc.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 12:46:43 PM »
I would seriously look at the other ingredients before I go concentrating those too. A lot of those other ingredients are not as regulated and can cause serious damage if you take to much at once.

And, no, being able to drink 10 energy drinks at once and not have any problems is NOWHERE near the same as drinking 1 energy drink with 10X everything. Your body removes foreign chemicals by evacuating fluids; when you drink the 10 energy drinks you will be evacuating a lot more fluid and a lot more of it will never actually interact with your body. Where as if you drink 10X the concentration in the same small volume of liquid, you will evacuate less fluids and get a much larger effective dose then drinking 10 energy drinks at once.

It is potentially very dangerous.

Offline Stepan

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
  • Air Chemistry Man
    • Supplier of air sampling equipment and services
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 09:35:55 PM »

Please stay on topic :)

I am on topic :P. A cap of espresso contains as much caffeine as  you would get from horrible drink derived after boiling of "energy drink" :o. I was trying to save your time ;)

Offline SirJMD

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 04:24:45 AM »
I would seriously look at the other ingredients before I go concentrating those too. A lot of those other ingredients are not as regulated and can cause serious damage if you take to much at once.

And, no, being able to drink 10 energy drinks at once and not have any problems is NOWHERE near the same as drinking 1 energy drink with 10X everything. Your body removes foreign chemicals by evacuating fluids; when you drink the 10 energy drinks you will be evacuating a lot more fluid and a lot more of it will never actually interact with your body. Where as if you drink 10X the concentration in the same small volume of liquid, you will evacuate less fluids and get a much larger effective dose then drinking 10 energy drinks at once.

It is potentially very dangerous.

Thanks you again :) Im not gonna do a 10x energy drink - not even close. Im well aware of the danger involved by concentrating it.

Offline ATMyller

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-6
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 06:00:07 AM »
Just put a caffeine tablet in it and you'll get 3-4x the original concentration.
Chemists do it periodically on table.

Offline SirJMD

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 08:11:37 AM »
Just put a caffeine tablet in it and you'll get 3-4x the original concentration.

Caffeine tablets are illegal where i live ;)

Sponsored Links