April 28, 2024, 12:34:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Oxime to amine by LiAlH4 and Sulfuric acid?  (Read 16717 times)

Offline tropane

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Oxime to amine by LiAlH4 and Sulfuric acid?
« on: April 23, 2011, 07:53:05 AM »
I reduced an oxime to the amine using LiAlH4 (lithal-for simplicity) and sulfuric acid in THF and quenched with water to give the amine but the paper I used is a patent and no chemical or mechanistic info is present and I can't find the info on the net. Does the nucleophilic Hydrogen of lithal attack the nitrogen centre of the oxime or the the adjacent carbon? I think its the Nitrogen and what role does the sulfuric acid play in this reaction. Does it provide an extra proton to the Nitrogen to form the amine as well as giving lithium sulfate? I will draw a mechanism once I start to understand the reaction better.

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
Re: Oxime to amine by LiAlH4 and Sulfuric acid?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
If you treated the oxime with H2SO4 first, and LiAlH4 second: you preformed a Beckmann Rearrangement and reduced the resultant amide.
Individual results may vary

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 09:49:44 AM »
I reduced an oxime to the amine using LiAlH4 (lithal-for simplicity) and sulfuric acid in THF and quenched with water to give the amine but the paper I used is a patent and no chemical or mechanistic info is present and I can't find the info on the net. Does the nucleophilic Hydrogen of lithal attack the nitrogen centre of the oxime or the the adjacent carbon? I think its the Nitrogen and what role does the sulfuric acid play in this reaction. Does it provide an extra proton to the Nitrogen to form the amine as well as giving lithium sulfate? I will draw a mechanism once I start to understand the reaction better.

LiAlH4 and H2SO4 will produce alane AlH3 which is pyrophoric and a strong reducing agent
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Kadabrium

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »
yeah H2SO4 first then LAH

Offline tropane

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 10:51:19 AM »
Well I prepared Lithal and H2SO4 in THF first and left it overnight. I then added the oxime in 35 C and stirred for 4 h. I guess I would agree with you Discodermalide since formation of the alane, AlH3 would be the purpose of the reaction inorder to reduce the oxime but then would the alane then attack the nitrogen in a nucleophilic addition type reaction?

Offline jake.n

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 12:22:25 PM »
I am guessing you are reducing the oxime to a primary amine?  Otherwise you would be looking at a Beckmann Rearrangement/Amide reduction as mentioned earlier.

It makes sense to me that a hydride would attack the nitrogen atom, displacing hydroxide and forming the imine, then the primary amine.

Offline tropane

Re: Oxime to amine by LiAlH4 and Sulfuric acid? (see mechanism)
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 12:27:53 PM »
Yes it is a primary amine that I want....Here is what I think the mechanism is:  Is it right?

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 02:05:34 PM »
I have to admit, I never would have thought of adding H2SO4 to LiAlH4. Sounds like a great recipe for an exotherm/fire. However, upon looking up aluminum hydride, it seems like its got some interesting selectivity. Mind if I ask what your conditions were?

Offline tropane

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 05:10:43 PM »
Yeah sure happy to tell you but do you think the mechanism looks right?

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 06:13:47 PM »
Not at all. You've got H+ in what should probably be a reducing/basic environment. Then you've drawn the N-O bond breaking while the N lone pair attacks a proton. This should leave the nitrogen with one less e- pair.

Offline tropane

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 07:33:27 PM »
Yes I have missed a step but it is still wrong anyway. Does an alane hydrogen attack the nitrogen displacing the o-AlH2? Can you suggest a possible mechanism otherwise? Thanks

As for the reaction itself to 1 mmol of lithal in THF 10ml at -10C was added 1mmol of 0.5mmol of H2SO4 dropwise!! Leave overnight. Then at rt add the a solutionof dissolved oxime in THF and leave to stir for 4 h. Cool to 0C and add water 1mmol dropwise. Work up by filtration.

I will try and see overnight what the mechanism is but if you can suggest one then that it would be interesting to see.

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 09:01:44 AM »

My best guess. I know I'm playing a little fast and loose with the charges. I'm assuming that Li+ is the common counter ion, and the disappearing hydrides (step 2) are used to convert the oximes to the oxime anion.

Sponsored Links