March 29, 2024, 11:30:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: No article from me this week.  (Read 9527 times)

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
No article from me this week.
« on: April 11, 2004, 04:46:44 PM »
I wanted to let everybody know that there will be no article from me this week.  I have been VERY busy all week in terms of work and my personal life, and I was out VERY late on Friday night.  I did an experiment in the name of science between the chemicals ethanol and alcohol dehydrogenase.  The experiment was a success, but the massive amount of acetaldehyde by-products have given me a vicious headache and a severly sore neck and body from things I did under the influence.   ;D  Therefore, Part 3 of the Alkali Metal series will have to wait until next week.  
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

vanisaac

Re:No article from me this week.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 04:33:20 PM »
Speaking of which, how do you post an article?  I've been trying to figure this out.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 05:26:12 PM »
It should be under the Staff Controls Block. It's called "Submissions: For News, Articles, or Links". Failing that you can always click "Submit a Link" in the menu on your left. Both links take you to the same page. Sorry for the confusion.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

vanisaac

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 01:06:10 AM »
Ahh, my confusion is that I don't seem to have a staff controls block.  I can work it through the submit a link options, though.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 01:31:29 AM »
woops. We've been using an older install of the forums trying to pin down this error in the links database and the permissions of that block must of got reseted. It should be visible now.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

vanisaac

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 12:22:58 PM »
Thanks

One Armed Scissor

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 10:22:24 PM »
Ethanol and alcohol dehydrogenase... isn't that what happens in your body after ingesting of alcohol? I hear that the reason why methanol is deadly is due to alcohol dehydrogenase's action on methanol - which produces toxic formaldehyde. But inhaling acetaldehyde should be similar to getting a hangover from alcohol - very interesting chemistry going on in your body indeed.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2004, 11:41:52 PM »
Yup.  And you are also correct about the methanol.  Methanol itself isn't so bad for you.  It's what your body turns it into that is horrendously bad for you.  As for my next article... well, once I get enough spare time I'll put one up.  I keep thinking that I'll have some spare time to get it together, but I've just been way too busy and tired lately.  Don't worry, I'll eventually post another article.  I just don't know when.   :D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links