April 19, 2024, 09:42:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Which one would be better for school? Motorola xoom, ipad2,or ACER Iconia? Maybe  (Read 4377 times)

Uchiha

Which one would be better for school? Motorola xoom, or ACER Iconia? Maybe a cheap netbook or laptop? ?
Need it to surf the web, listen to music, read/send emails, watch movies, video chat, type/edit documents and to take notes in class. College student
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 05:48:31 AM by Borek »

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
I would advise against taking notes in class on a computer etc. You won't keep up if you have to take down equations and structures. You need a pen and some paper.

So what you want is an entertainment machine with a word processor. Get a netbook/laptop. Specs are higher than tablets, they're cheaper, and you can install all the software you need. iPads, and I suspect most tablets, are toys - you can't do real work on them because you cannot install software like chem office, mestrec etc. (as far as I know).

I can't really suggest a model because I've had my netbook (Samsung NC10) for ~2 years so it's pretty much obselete - that said I still use it at work every day for writing documents, processing NMR data, chemdraw, email and surfing. At home I watch movies (external DVD drive) and stream video on it. It has everything I need.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline SirRoderick

• Mole Snacks: +10/-1
I agree. Get a decent laptop, it is by far the best choice.

Offline jeffrey.struss

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
Note taking requires a stylus or pen. AFAIK none of these are designed for a stylus. I knew a guy back in the day who used a tablet with stylus in OneNote. it worked verywell for him.

Offline SirRoderick

• Mole Snacks: +10/-1
Note taking requires a stylus or pen. AFAIK none of these are designed for a stylus. I knew a guy back in the day who used a tablet with stylus in OneNote. it worked verywell for him.

A tablet "back in the day"? Can't have been far back eh?

Sponsored Links