April 18, 2024, 06:23:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ultrasonication Process Scale up  (Read 7852 times)

Offline aj15

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ultrasonication Process Scale up
« on: May 03, 2011, 11:27:03 AM »
Hello Forum,

I am scaling up a process in which one of the unit operation is ultrasonication. The primary objective is particle size reduction.
Current process: Sonication in a bath sonicator for 6 hrs at RT, 1 atm pressure.
Specs: VWR 150HT sonicator, 1.5 gal capacity, 120 watts, 35KHz.
Current Batch size: 1.5 liters.

I want to scale up the current batch size to 50 liters. I want to make a decision between a Heilscher UIP 50HD, which is a tip sonicator and industrial bath sonicators. How can I go about scaling up this process with respect to selection of type of sonicator, flow rate in the tip sonicator, sonication times in a bath sonicator.

Specs of the UIP 50 HD; 500 watts, 20KHz
Spec of bath sonicator: 1000 watts, 25 or 40 KHz, 19 gal capacity

Thank you,
 AJ15

Offline mlustig

• Very New Member
Re: Ultrasonication Process Scale up
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:14:46 AM »
Probe sonicators are much more effective for particle size reduction, creating dispersions, etc...  For 50 liters you should look at a probe sonicator with a flocell.  http://www.sonicator.com/pdf/Q500_Flocell01.030611.pdf

This type of unit uses a 1/2" probe which has a high amplitude.  High amplitude is needed to reduce particle size more quickly and effectively.  Before buying a flocell you should prove that your application works in a beaker with a small volume.  If it works in a beaker it will work in the flocell.  You just need to then figure out the optimum flow rate and amplitude settings.

Note that you have the option to use a solid tip or replaceable tip probe.  If your sample type allows it, the replaceable tip version is less costly to use over time.

Offline canadapolar

Re: Ultrasonication Process Scale up
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 05:59:35 AM »
Hi AJ15,
I agree with mlustig regarding the probe sonicator. Probe sonicators are much more effective  - especially if you want to reduce the particle size. I use a recirculation setup for CNT processing. On the website of the supplier of my ultrasonic device you can see the recirc setup: http://www.hielscher.com/ultrasonics/i1000_p.htm  It works amazing: I don't wanna miss it processing my nanomaterials  ;)
What kind of particles are you working with?
I would be interested in information about deagglomeration and dispersing of color pigments. This would be my next project.. Has anybody helpful information?

Sponsored Links