April 25, 2024, 06:55:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: TJA Atomscan ICP-OES - help appreciated  (Read 5927 times)

Offline The_MD

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
TJA Atomscan ICP-OES - help appreciated
« on: November 17, 2010, 05:23:21 AM »
Hi all - Longtime browser, first time poster. 

I've recently acquired a rather old ICP.  A Thermo Jarrell Ash Atomscan 16 ICP-OES, to be precise.  I'm looking for a bit of advice from anyone who might be familiar with the product range. 

I don't have the original manual, but the electronic help files appear to be fairly comprehensive.  They just don't have the specific information I require.  I've been slightly trained on the instrument - enough to create and run basic methods, and not cause what the service tech calls a "chernobyl" in the plasma chamber. 

I want to run what the sofware calls a "MultiQuant" semi-quantitative method.  To do this, I need what they call a MultiQuant Reference Standard (MQRS). 

My trouble is that I can't seem to find any information on what these standards should be.  I've found from within the software that the elements should be Ba, Cd, Co and Cu on the default method.  I cannot find what concentration these should be within the standard.  Does anybody know?  Am I missing something obvious?

Thermo Jarrell Ash no longer exists as an independent entity.  I've contacted Thermo Fisher on the off chance that they know, and got told they would call me back if they found an answer.  I'm not holding out a great deal of hope there.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline cil-baha

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
    • BAHA
Re: TJA Atomscan ICP-OES - help appreciated
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 10:25:17 PM »
Hi,
I was just searching for ICP and found your question unanswered.
The reference standards depend on what you want to report quantitatively, the standard concentration should be 3 times the LOQ, or to a Standard Method of your choice.

Offline FreeRadical

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 02:13:14 PM »
I too recently acquired and installed a TJA Atomscan16. I have the original manual that I plan to scan to pdf and would be willing to post for others to access.

Offline wdonovan

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 10:42:16 AM »
Are you running it with the TJA ThermoSPEC/PMT software? There should be a file called PMT Manual that was installed with the software. According to it...

"The Method is standardized by a simple procedure which assumes that the ratios of intensities of different lines will remain constant.  Therefore, a simple 4 element solution can be run and the intensities of the four measured lines may be used to estimate the intensities that would be generated by similar concentrations of other elements.  The default standardization elements and wavelengths are Co 228.616 nm, Cd 228.802 nm, Cu 324.754 and Ba 493.409.  The Co and Ba lines are ionic (State II) lines, while the Cd and Cu lines are atomic (State I) lines.  A single solution, which is termed the MQRS solution is prepared.  It should contain these 4 elements, all at a concentration of 10 ppm.  All other element lines are referenced to the closest wavelength of these 4 lines, with the added requirement that it be of the same state."

Apparently they use a simple standard and the assumption that as long as you can find the peaks precisely (and their algorithms seem pretty nice) you can assume linearity and a fixed ratio between elements. This procedure is semi-quantitative and all in all, pretty cool.

Offline The_MD

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 10:54:36 AM »
I think I must have a different version of the manual files - mine did not state the 10ppm bit.  I found it in the end. 

I got it working eventually and the thing is a lifesaver for a bucket chemist like me.

Sponsored Links