April 28, 2024, 08:08:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Odd question--should have been a chem eng. major  (Read 5437 times)

Offline sweetgapeach

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Odd question--should have been a chem eng. major
« on: April 28, 2011, 11:06:01 PM »
Ok...so this a pretty weird question because I'm not an engineer of any type (I'm actually a scientific communicator), but I thought this would be a good place to cure my curiosity about something.

I recently ran across two products that are really interesting to me and am curious about what makes them work. I'm not sure if they both use the same material, but essentially they both consist of some sort of liquid that is non-toxic that can be heated up and that stays hot for hours. What could this be?

The first one is called Snugglesafe and is warmer for pets:  http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Supply-Imports-SnuggleSafe-Heating/dp/B00008AJH9

It says it's a non-electrical plate-size pad that provides up to 12 hours of safe, soothing warmth and you place it in your microwave to heat it up. The company is calling it thermapol but i think they made that word up.

The second thing is something called Coffee Joulies, which are little metal beans filled with a liquid that keep your coffee or tea hot for 3 hours. Here's how it's described: They absorb excess thermal energy when the coffee is initially poured too hot to drink, cooling your coffee down to a drinkable temperature three times faster. Once your coffee reaches the right temperature the beans release that stored thermal energy back into the coffee, keeping it in the optimal temperature range twice as long.

What type of chemicals would do this? Thanks, hopefully this is a fun question.

Tea

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Odd question--should have been a chem eng. major
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 03:53:25 AM »
In both cases there is no need for some specific chemical - any substance with large specific heat will give similar results. Could be they use something that undergoes a phase transition near requested temperature, which helps keep temperature constant (latent heat).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline sweetgapeach

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 07:17:52 AM »
Thanks, Borek! I guess my question wasn't as fun as I thought it was  :( especially since almost 30 people read it, yawned, and then moved on.

Your answer was a little deflating...I was hoping for something a little more magical that started off with "Deep in the jungles of the Amazon...." but I guess that's because I'm not a chemical engineer LOL :D

Can you provide some specific examples that are toxic? I'd like to find something with these properties. Thx!

Offline sweetgapeach

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 06:05:09 PM »
Sheesh! Tough crowd!

Sponsored Links