March 28, 2024, 03:39:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Which is an appropriate statement ?  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Abdullah Saleem

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Which is an appropriate statement ?
« on: May 08, 2011, 01:58:14 PM »
Hi,

While discussing Anions and Cations in class, my teacher told me about the exothermic and endothermic reactions required for making anions and cations respectively.

Then he asked about the reason why energy is required in making cations ? He then wrote it as follow :

Energy is required to remove the electrons from the attraction of nucleus. I was of the opinion that that it should be "Energy is required to repel the electrons from nucles".

Which one is appropriate here? I asked him and, but he rejected my opinion. Which one is appropriate here? I asked him, but he rejected my opinion. He told me that energy is required to remove the remove the electrons from the nucleus. Repulsion is something else !

Offline bakerbg

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Which is an appropriate statement ?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 11:39:27 PM »
Good question. Its very important that one gets the chemistry terminology correct: it aids in understanding the concepts.

Repulsion is the opposite of attraction. Electrons repel each other while they are attracted to the nucleus. It requires energy to upset this balance and cause an electron to be removed from the nucleus.

Sponsored Links