April 28, 2024, 07:56:20 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: bubbling hydrogen nitrogen gas into sulfuric acid  (Read 8145 times)

lopazopy

bubbling hydrogen nitrogen gas into sulfuric acid
« on: September 21, 2005, 10:38:34 AM »
Does a 40% nitrogen 60% hydrogen gas mixture have any effect on H2SO4 at room temperature?

I have 6.5M H2SO4 and was going to bubble the gas into the acid at room temperature.  Will the gas change the molarity of the acid?

I've searched the internet for information about this, but can't find anything.  If you could point me into a direction with more information, I'd appreciate it.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 11:10:08 AM by lopazopy »

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:bubbling hydrogen nitrogen gas into sulfuric acid
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 11:39:17 AM »
Nope.  Nitrogen gas and hydrogen gas will simply pass right through the weak acid solution.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 04:59:59 AM »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 09:11:53 AM »
When you're used to dealing with concentrated H2SO4, or concentrated HNO3, or concentrated HCl, 6.5 molar is pretty weak.   :D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 04:11:42 PM »
technically, as long there is complete dissociation, H2SO4 is still considered as a strong acid. pH-wise, 6.5M of H2SO4 is still less acidic than concentrated H2SO4 because of the significant difference in H+ concentration.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 06:27:04 PM »
wow. i learn something new today, from borek.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 07:02:12 PM »
wow. i learn something new today, from borek.

Sorry Geo, I was wrong. I have deleted my post to mot mislead others. I had some doubts so I have checked. Activity coefficients go down at first, but for higher ionic strengths they go up, so they go not through a maximum, but through a minimum.

Seems I was wrong all my life  >:(

The faster you forget what you have "learned" from me today, the better for you.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links