April 19, 2024, 06:52:20 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why are concentration of Solid, liquid are constant in equilibrium ?  (Read 5676 times)

Offline kochibacha

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
In this equation

CH3COOH + H2O <----> CH3COO- + H3O+

if i wanna calculate the concentration of CH3COOH or CH3COO or H3O  why don't i have to use concentration of H2O?

would you give me an example which has a distinctive result of not having concentration of H2O constant and having concentration of H2O constant

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Water concentration is assumed to be constant and is already included in the value of acid dissociation constant.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline kochibacha

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Water concentration is assumed to be constant and is already included in the value of acid dissociation constant.

Would you please explain "WHY WATER CONCENTRATION(SOLID AS WELL) IS ASSUME TO BE CONSTANT"

I'm very curious

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Solids are a different case.

Try to calculate concentration of water in 0.01M and 0.1M solution of acetic acid.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
Water or any solvent concentration term is taken unity because it is present in excess.So it is taken as change in concentration of any of the solvent can not effect the equilibrium constant.
Moreover concentration is the term which gives the amount of the solute in the given amount of the solvent and is for solutions
It is not applicable on pure liquids and solids.

Sponsored Links