April 29, 2024, 11:51:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Silver Chloride determination  (Read 5823 times)

Offline The_MD

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Silver Chloride determination
« on: May 09, 2011, 10:29:06 AM »
Good afternoon,

I am trying to assay undeveloped photographic film.  Normally I would do a cyanide digestion and run through the ICP, but the instrument is down, and I am currently pretty much limited to titrations.  Which I don't currently have a method for. 

The film is essentially silver chloride, gelatin and assorted dyes on a cellulose back.  I cannot currently give a breakdown of the dyes.  It normally assays out as 2 to 2.5g/kg silver in the film. 

My current thought is that I might be able to react Sodium Hydroxide with silver chloride to produce Silver Oxide, Sodium Chloride and Water.  I then might be able to run a back titration of the sodium hydroxide against nitric acid to determine the NaOH used, and therefore possibly the silver.

So that would be:-

AgCl + NaOH -> NaCl + AgOH
2AgOH -> Ag2O +H2O (apparently this is fairly reliable)

That sounds like it might work, but I've got a horrible feeling that it isn't that simple.  Anyone care to poke holes in the plan? I need to test to +/- 0.1g/kg, but don't currently have a decent standard to check against.   

Alternatively I could try some form of Tollens test, but I am uncertain about quantifying that.  Any suggestions would be extremely welcome - I rely overly on the ICP and frankly feel a bit lost without it. 

Offline The_MD

Re: Silver Chloride determination
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:07:51 AM »
Please ignore my previous thoughts on a sodium hydroxide titration.  I did a trial run and the results were ridiculous - overreading by approximately a factor of 5.  Clearly this isn't the answer. 

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 03:33:13 PM »
Perhaps dissolving silver chloride in thiosulfate and using some method for silver determination in the spent fixing solution will work? That's just a general idea, I don't have any ready method at hand (which is slightly surprising, I am sure there was one described in the books I have here - but I can't find it).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline The_MD

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 06:52:50 AM »
I am being told to do thiocyanate titrations using ferric ammonium sulfate indicators.

I am not entirely convinced that will work, but given that it's the company owner telling me to do so, I'll try.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 06:56:40 AM »
That would be some variant of Volhard method.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline The_MD

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 08:23:33 AM »
Indeed.  The trouble is getting the silver chloride into solution without adding ions that might interfere with the titration.  I'm suspicious that thiosulfate might cause issues. 

We shall see. 

Offline The_MD

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 03:28:24 AM »
hmm

Slight update on this one.

It appears fixing solution inhibits the formation of the ferric thiocyanate precipitates.

Might try and get hold of some tartrazine, or just have a general rethink. 

Sponsored Links