March 28, 2024, 07:01:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chromium and plastic.  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Kurixen

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chromium and plastic.
« on: May 16, 2011, 04:07:16 PM »
Hello all,

I'm an ecology and evolution student so forgive me if this post doesn't have enough detail about the chemistry or if it's not posted in exactly the right spot.

I was hoping that someone with experience with heavy metals could give me some advice concerning chromium.  I'm designing a toxicity experiment using water that contains unusually high concentrations of chromium and magnesium. I would like to use more replicates, but I'm limited by cost of the tanks.  So my question is whether the chromium will leach into plastic, changing the actual concentration of chromium present in the water.  If this is unlikely, I can just use plastic containers which will be much cheaper than glass tanks allowing me to use four different species as opposed to two.

Thank you for your expertise, I will of course check the literature too, but I figured I could get a general answer from a good forum, or at least some guidance as to where to look.  If you have any tips for dealing with water unusual amounts of heavy metals I would be very grateful!

Sponsored Links