March 28, 2024, 01:02:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I need help on CuCO3 dissolution?  (Read 15614 times)

kumarentran

I need help on CuCO3 dissolution?
« on: May 22, 2004, 12:15:42 AM »
i have to synthesis Cu(II)4-halobenzoate.
the reagents are 4-halo benzoic acid and CuCO3(coppercarbonate).
but the CuCO3 doesnt seem to dissolve in order for the Cu2+ ions to form a dimer complex.
the product wanted is Cu2.(4-halobenzoate)4.
And the benzoic acid keeps forming again when the stirring stops.
Please give me a way( procedure, solvent, catalyzer ) to dissolve the CuCO3 and make the reaction Happen.
mail me.
kumarentran@hotmail.com
URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:I need help on CuCO3 dissolution?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 01:24:26 AM »
Must u use the water-insoluble Copper(II) Carbonate? Aq. Cu(NO3)2 can be source for aq. Cu2+ ions too.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re:I need help on CuCO3 dissolution?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 04:39:20 AM »
Benzoic acids are stronger than carbonic acid, so reaction should take place. However, both copper carbonate and copper benzoate are insoluble in water and organic solvents and both show almost the same color. And this is the main problem. Moreover, this reaction is heterogenous and must proceed slowly.

The better solution of the problem is to dissolve copper carbonate in hydrochloric or sulfuric acid (or use of soluble copper salt) and use of sodium benzoate instead of benzoic acid itself.
AWK

Sponsored Links