April 29, 2024, 10:13:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: CaCl2.6H2O making question  (Read 9928 times)

ogi

CaCl2.6H2O making question
« on: September 22, 2005, 11:37:23 AM »
Hi, I'm not chemical and I'm trying to build a thermal storage system which needs CaCl2.6H2O but I have only CaCl2 (anhydrous), ¿ does somebody knows if it's possible to convert the anhydrous in  CaCl2.6H2O and how ?

Thanks in advance, I've googled the answer a lot without success.

Ogi

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:CaCl2.6H2O making question
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 11:58:13 AM »
Hi, I'm not chemical and I'm trying to build a thermal storage system which needs CaCl2.6H2O but I have only CaCl2 (anhydrous), ¿ does somebody knows if it's possible to convert the anhydrous in  CaCl2.6H2O and how ?

All you have to do is to add correct amount of water.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

ogi

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 01:50:03 PM »
Hi, I've mixed CaCl2 anhydrous with wather in a proportion 1:2, I guess it should be enough water and taked the solution to 40°C but at cooling there are too few cristals at the bottom indicating that CaCl2.6H2O has not been formed ¿is this conclusion correct ?

Thanks again,

Ogi

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 02:46:24 PM »
You need mass ratio 1:1.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 04:05:07 PM »
this is just crystal growing. prepare a saturated solution of CaCl2 for crystallisation, Suspend a button inside the solution and warm the solution mildly. You should observe crystal formation on the button.

I guess u been googling the wrong things. Google for "how to grow crystals"
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 04:23:58 PM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

ogi

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 06:28:35 PM »
After talking with the provider, my product resulted to be CaCl2.4H2O and not CaCl2 anhydrous, so I guess that was one of my problems, beeing the other the concentration.
I'm doing a new test with a mixture of 250 Gr. of CaCl2.4H2O + 87 Grm H2O that uppon my calculations should be a relation of 1:1 in mass. Thanks a lot for all the info.

I have another question, this is more dificult, I have read that for the solution of CaCl2.4H2O +2H2O converts to CaCl2.6H2O I have to put some Sr(OH)2 acting as "seeding crystal" I don't undestand the reaction and I don't know how much Sr(OH) I need for a 1KG of CaCl2.4H2O.

Besides that, there is last question about if can replace the SR(OH)2 with Strontium Chloride + Sodium Hydroxide because I can't get Sr(OH)2 but I can get  Strontium Chloride or Strontium nitrate.

Thanks a lot guys

Olgierd

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 07:12:52 PM »
If what you have is CaCl2.4H2O mass ratio should be not 1:1 but 183:36 (250:87 is close enough).

If you add stoichiometric amount of water (ie not excess water to dissolve CaCl2) you don't need seeding crystals.

My knowledge about CaCl2 hydrates is rather limited, however, I would expect them to be stable only in some humidity/temperature ranges (as all hydrates are). Thus once you will prepare your hydrate you need to keep it in closed jar, as it may easily loose/gain water and change composition.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 07:15:07 PM by Borek »

Sponsored Links