April 28, 2024, 05:55:49 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Prospects for Grad School  (Read 10860 times)

Offline phillyj

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
Prospects for Grad School
« on: April 09, 2011, 12:10:53 AM »
Hi, I'm about to complete my BS Biochem this May. My problem is that I have a low GPA (~2.8, maybe a bit higher after this final semester). I don't really think I can get into anything even masters. I'm planning on finding a job and working for a year or so.

I am also planning on taking the Actuarial Exams and see if I can get into the masters program for that. I think my doors to science (which I really liked, but college was a terrible experience for me; bad teachers, etc). Is all hope lost? My friend is on the same boat but probably a better GPA (not grad school worthy though)  and he is going to U of Pittsburg to get a BS Biochemical Engineering. I don't even know if I could do that. My grades are so terrible (except in areas of Probability Theory and Physical Chemistry).

No point thinking about what I should have done a few years back but what options lie ahead? Don't tell me to see the college counseler. I've been there. They didn't tell me anything I already didn't know.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: Prospects for Grad School
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 05:28:09 PM »
While a GPA of 2.8 is not great, it is good enough to get into a masters program at a small school. No, you will not get into Yale or Princeton.

Your biggest problems is A LOT of schools have already accepted all the students they can already; especially for the paid programs.

You really want to find a school that will pay you, or at least at minimum wave tuition (you will probably have to teach). You will have to have the GRE though. I would not give up on it, but you might not be able to get in until next year.

It does not hurt to try.

Offline phillyj

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 05:53:10 PM »
Oh, I know that it's too late to apply this year. I'm thinking next year. I need to clear my head and assess what I want to do. I think being in the job market for a while will help me focus better on my studies. I've become disillusioned with education because the one thing I hated was memorizing facts and not really learning/understanding. If I had gone with the flow and not been so stubborn, my gpa would have been better.

Now, I would really like to enter the engineering side, like chemical or bio engineering but I think they are more strict with their applicants. I'm not really sure what master's program will help me to take that route.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 07:11:04 PM »
I actually had a 2.7 undergrad gpa, because I did not care about non science classes and was young and stupid. I got MS from small school. After I looked into both job market and phd program and chose to get a phd from Purdue. But I was getting great job offers. Going ms route will open more jobs and higher pay for you, as well as phd route if you decide.

Offline zs3889

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 06:23:25 PM »
Hi, I am an international student and currently doing my junior year in BS Chemistry, with a 3.4GPA. I am interested in going to a grad school or even doing phD but I am not so familiar with the system here. My questions are:

1. I know that you still have to pay the fee to go to a grad school, but i saw some replies above saying that it can be free. How is that possible?
2. Do I have to have a MS before doing a phD?
3. I heard that you don't necessary have to pay the fee to do phD program, and sometimes even you will get paid. Is that true?

I know my questions sound dumb but I really want to know the answers

Thanks!

Offline phillyj

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 08:17:40 AM »
1. I know that you still have to pay the fee to go to a grad school, but i saw some replies above saying that it can be free. How is that possible?
3. I heard that you don't necessary have to pay the fee to do phD program, and sometimes even you will get paid. Is that true?
Thanks!

1] Scholarship? I know grad schools love foreign students because they can charge them more.
2] No, you can get into a PhD program if you're qualified. Seems you're doing fine so you can apply for that. I on the other hand, am not doing so great so it is harder for me to get it so I have to try MS route.
3] By fee, I assume you mean tuition. The money they pay you is most likely based on your GPA. They'll make you TA in return also.

This forum is slow, so you'll have to wait for people who have experience to reply. Hope this helps.

Offline zs3889

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 11:05:09 AM »
Thanks!

1] Scholarship? I know grad schools love foreign students because they can charge them more.
2] No, you can get into a PhD program if you're qualified. Seems you're doing fine so you can apply for that. I on the other hand, am not doing so great so it is harder for me to get it so I have to try MS route.
3] By fee, I assume you mean tuition. The money they pay you is most likely based on your GPA. They'll make you TA in return also.

This forum is slow, so you'll have to wait for people who have experience to reply. Hope this helps.

Thanks for getting me back.
Yea the problem is the tuition fees for us is really high, I might get a job after undergrad for a while and then see what's next cause I really dont wanna be dependent on my parents anymore, at least I can pay for my own allowance or part of my tuition fee.

So you mean undergrads can actually get into a phD program without getting a MS? Hmmm I never knew that. So no matter how, phD students will get paid by the university, is that true?

Thanks a lot you are helping me to see the clearer picture =)

Offline phillyj

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 11:16:23 AM »
When I was looking into Grad programs, my school said that they pay about $20000 and up for PhD and $15000 and up for Masters. The regular tuition was around $25000 which I calculated since the Grad Program only listed price per Credit hours. They said most students qualify but I'm not sure what makes one disqualified. I'm assuming that other schools have a similar policy. Keep in mind that the higher your GPA and GRE scores, the more money you will get.

Offline thlinalakmal

• Very New Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 07:36:01 AM »
Hi!

I am a chemical engineering graduate from Sri Lanka, I graduated in in October 2010. My GPA is 4.03 out of 4.2 (Well its our scale, not 4.0). After that I worked in my department as an instructor and currently working as a temporary lecturer (I do lectures under the guidance of senior lecturers and professors). I did research on bioethanol in my undergraduate time, but i couldn't put up any publications from it.
I haven't taken GRE nor TOEFL at this moment, but planning to do so in this October. I am sure I can target good marks.
I am interested in doing my higher studies in US, in industrial biotechnology, I want to study further in metabolic engineering, especially using bacterial cells and plant cells, (but not interested in animal cell cultures and biomedical engineering).
can anyone please advice me on where I can find that kind of research opportunities. I don't care about the rank of the university as long as it fills my requirements and the professors are good. This research available in UC Davis, but I don't think I can get admitted there. Any thoughts on that possibility?

Thanks in advance

Btw I am new here, Its nice to be here.  :) :)

Sponsored Links