April 24, 2024, 06:50:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cyclohexylamine NMR  (Read 9657 times)

Offline dae1991

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Cyclohexylamine NMR
« on: May 27, 2011, 05:09:22 PM »
I'm identifying an unknown in my lab and all information (bp, derivatives, IR, etc) point to cyclohexylamine.  I now have the NMR which shows a multiplet (integral of 6) at ~1.0-1.2ppm, a pentet (integral of ~4) at 1.8-2.0pp, and a pentet (integral of ~1) at 2.6ppm.  This all corresponds great to the aliphatic carbons, however I have nothing for the amine hydrogens.  From what I recall, amine hydrogens register between 1 and 3 ppm.  Any ideas? 

Offline rucik5

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Re: Cyclohexylamine NMR
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 07:05:01 PM »
Hi.
What I would recommend is maybe to compare your spectra to the ones which could be found here:
http://riodb01.ibase.aist.go.jp/sdbs/cgi-bin/direct_frame_top.cgi

Namely:

Or from sigma-aldrich, which is of better quality:
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/spectra/fnmr/FNMR003233.PDF

I assume there wasn't any deuterium in your sample to facilitate the H/D exchange?

Offline rcmishra

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
    • Web Site
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 11:21:22 PM »
Please try a 1H-NMR experiment in DMSO-d6, it will show you the protons for amine, if any. Further a D2O shake experiment would confirm those to be protons attached to a hetero atom, 'N' in your case showing broadening/disappearing of the corresponding peak.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 03:54:08 PM »
Readily exchangeable protons such as amines, hydroxyls, and carboxylic acids can be tough to find in a proton NMR. First question, though, you aren't using deutero-methanol for a solvent, are you? That would definitely exchange your amine protons for deuterium, making them disappear from your proton spectra and (very slightly) increasing the amount of residual CD3OH you see from your CD3OD spectra. Even in d6-DMSO, however, small amounts of water or very high concentrations of your sample can lead to lots of proton transfer, and your peak may broaden out so far that your baseline-leveling software obscures it altogether. Hydrogen bonding and resulting hydrogen exchange processes are very fast on an NMR timescale and may blur your peak into background.

Sponsored Links