March 28, 2024, 05:43:02 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Any Linux User here?  (Read 6708 times)

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Any Linux User here?
« on: May 22, 2004, 05:20:07 AM »
We could share our experience and help each other in this aspect..
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline gregpawin

• Cradle Bandit
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
  • Ebichu chu chu chuses you!
Re:Any Linux User here?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 02:36:48 AM »
I don't use it but what flavor of linux do you have?
I've got nothin'

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 02:56:31 AM »
knoppix and mandrake.

knoppix is cool, cuz i can run it from CD-ROM. Saves me all the trouble from installing Linux on my laptop.

I m running mandrake on my PC.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline gregpawin

• Cradle Bandit
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
  • Ebichu chu chu chuses you!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 04:21:00 AM »
There's craploads of websites about this isn't there?  I remember Toms Hardwarehttp://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/20040329/index.html doing a series of articles about how the layperson could step by step port themselves over the Linux from Windows... Also Slashdot.org is supposed to be a Linux general news site which from there has a lot of links to other Linux related places.

Is it true you have to compile some programs before you can use them?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 12:34:25 PM by gregpawin »
I've got nothin'

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 12:38:35 AM »
yes.. u dun have to compile it personally. what happens is the program comes with the source code and a script. the script automates the compiling process, so basically, your life as the end-user is simpler. the reason for this is that there are different flavours of linux. the best way to ensure that your program would work on your linux edition is to compile it locally.

Sponsored Links