April 26, 2024, 02:46:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Redox Equation Help  (Read 19333 times)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Redox Equation Help
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 05:36:45 PM »
As I wrote - that just means you should use H+ and H2O to balance half reactions.

Looking at oxidation numbers it should be obvious to you iodine gets oxidized - that means H2O2 gets reduced. If it gets reduced, half reaction must consume electrons:

H2O2 + e- -> .

This needs some guessing now. Reaction posted by Nobby consumes electrons, but it produces OH-, so it doesn't fit. However, it is rather easy to guess how to use water and H+ to balance.

Note that any reaction that produces OH- can be easily converted to one that doesn't contain OH- and consumes H+ - it is enough to add H+ on both sides of the equation.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Nobby

• Mole Snacks: +12/-16
  • Vena lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 01:04:13 AM »
@Bat3996 Compare post 4 and 6.

H2O2 + 2 e- => 2 OH-

can be converted by adding H+ to

H2O2 + 2 H+ + 2 e- => 2 H2O

But nevertheless the reaction takes place under basic conditions (Your first post) and that means the equations have to be developed by using OH-.

@Borek >>Reaction posted by Nobby consumes electrons, but it produces OH-, so it doesn't fit<<

What does this means, it doesn't fit.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:22:05 AM by Nobby »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 04:05:42 AM »
@Borek >>Reaction posted by Nobby consumes electrons, but it produces OH-, so it doesn't fit<<

What does this means, it doesn't fit.

It doesn't fit conditions of acidic solution - it is better to balance it using H+. Which you later did, I was just trying to explain Bat3996 why these things are equivalent.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Nobby

• Mole Snacks: +12/-16
  • Vena lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 04:10:48 AM »
Ok, understand.

I agree in the most cases to balance with  H+ is more easier. But in my opinion the people should also learn how it works with OH-.

A reaction in alkaline conditions maybe will not take place in acidic conditions, what I beleave is also the case by oxiding Iodide with peroxide or the other example of synproportion of ammonia and nitrate.

Offline Bat3996

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 10:32:47 PM »
Thank you for all the help guys, I am still working on complete understand, but it helps a lot.

Sponsored Links