April 26, 2024, 12:44:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: 2nd BS: Chemical Engineering  (Read 8782 times)

Offline phillyj

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
2nd BS: Chemical Engineering
« on: June 02, 2011, 11:51:53 AM »
I graduated in Biochem but I realize now that I chose the wrong field. I hated the biology and I don't want to do Grad studies in Biochem or biology-related fields. I like chemistry but having fouled up my GPA, I'm still figuring out what to do. One idea was to get a masters in Chem. Eng. but looking at the courses, I realized that I would have to take many engineering classes that I didn't take as a Biochemist. Looking at a BS in Chem. Eng. (also about 2 years with my transfer credits), I think if I finish the BS and then apply for a PhD program. I think I will have a better chance. At this point, I have learned what I want to do with my life and am willing to put all my effort into it, unlike what I did for my Biochem BS.

Any opinions? Also, you guys keep telling me top find a Masters program that will pay me to study. I don't think you realize that my GPA was below 3.0 so why should anyone pay me to study anything? I didn't do exceptional research either, just 2 summers only. 

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: 2nd BS: Chemical Engineering
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 01:21:53 PM »
My undergraduate GPS was ~2.7. So I did a MS at a lower ranked school, still got paid and then used that experience to get into a world class PhD program.
And any amount of research will increase your chance.

Even if you can not get paid to get the MS, at least try and get the tuition provided (graduate tuition is usually 3X higher then undergraduate). You usually teach undergraduate labs, so its not free, its a job with tuition comped.

Also, you are not limited to going into a MS for Chemical Engineering. You could just as well get into just a Chemistry MS program (more options available for that) and then do PhD in Chemical Engineering no problem. When you then go into a PhD program in Chemical Engineering, yes, you will be a little behind and will need to work your but off at first to catch up. And during the MS program if it is not Chem Eng maybe some of your elective classes can be those classes that you need for Chem Eng.

Conversely, depending on what is available at the school you chose; you can get a MS in Chemistry and a BS in Chemical Engineering at the same time (all for free/being paid hopefully), since you said you have 2 years of BS Chem Eng classes, and it is 2 years for MS. You will be working really hard.

Yes, if it is the only option, going back and spending 2 years getting the degree you want to get the career you want, it is worth it. But I would really try hard to find a paid MS program first, even if it has to be in Chemistry.

If you go back and spend 2 years getting the degree, with the price of tuition, student loan cost, current student loan inflation rate (crazy high) and percentage interest rate, and then factoring in the amount of time lost getting to the job market; you will have made nearly $400,000 (US) less then if you can get into a graduate program right now over the next 20 years. The difference is owning your own house in 20 years vs still paying off the mortgage.

Offline phillyj

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 02:18:21 PM »

since you said you have 2 years of BS Chem Eng classes, and it is 2 years for MS. You will be working really hard.

I don't have a BS in  Chem Eng rather a BS in Biochem so in order to pursue Chem Eng. I still need the engineering prerequisites. I will look into the Masters also. Do you have any recommendations on these lower ranked programs?

Do you know any websites that allow me to search through all the available programs? I'm using www.gradschools.com right now.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 04:09:23 PM »

since you said you have 2 years of BS Chem Eng classes, and it is 2 years for MS. You will be working really hard.

I don't have a BS in  Chem Eng rather a BS in Biochem so in order to pursue Chem Eng. I still need the engineering prerequisites. I will look into the Masters also. Do you have any recommendations on these lower ranked programs?

Do you know any websites that allow me to search through all the available programs? I'm using www.gradschools.com right now.

I meant, if you did your 2 years BS Chem Eng while doing a 2 year Chem MS. That way you do not have to pay to get either degree; and you have a much larger skill and much better applicant for PhD then most other Chem Eng applicants.

This is a ranking of Chemistry Graduate Schools:
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/chemistry-rankings
You can use it to see Chem Eng schools.

But, there are many that are unranked. Where do you live, you can just get your MS from "The University of [INSERT STATE HERE] at [INSERT CITY HERE]" if they have the program there. Hopefully it is big enough that they can pay you a little; or a school like that is not to far from your already established home.

Sponsored Links