April 28, 2024, 06:48:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Column chromatography! cotton trick?  (Read 6290 times)

Offline peptideismylife

• Mole Snacks: +1/-5
Column chromatography! cotton trick?
« on: June 04, 2011, 06:45:05 PM »
Hey people!

I am going to run a column chromatography..and as far as I know u have to put a cotton at the bottom of the column...but always? because I think that there are special column with something at the bottom that plays like the cotton? could be?

Offline rucik5

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Re: Column chromatography! cotton trick?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 07:01:28 PM »
Well, you need something on the bottom to stop the silica from running out with your solvent. I usually use columns with sintered glass (see picture) at the base. A plug of glass wool does the trick as well [I would put a thin layer of sand on the cotton as well - to prevent clogging/blocking]. I don't know about cotton wool.

I think it's a good idea to get someone to show you how to do it for the first time. After several columns you will develop your own technique. It is quite a popular technique, there is a lot of info on the web.

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 07:35:49 PM »
As long as there's a sintered glass intrinsic to the column you're cool. Otherwise, you've got to come up with some way to keep all the chromatographic media from falling out.
Individual results may vary

Offline voidSetup

• Mole Snacks: +5/-1
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 10:15:51 PM »
I usually stuff a small piece of cotton in just above the valve and then a thin layer of sand before adding the silica.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 10:39:24 PM »
If I know it is going to make my sintered glass hard to clean, I go with cotton wool my self. Sometimes I even just wad a KimWipe in there...Works great!

Sponsored Links