March 29, 2024, 07:47:38 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: This might be useful to some people  (Read 17086 times)

Corvettaholic

This might be useful to some people
« on: April 19, 2004, 06:44:39 PM »
In one of my previous threads, I was talking about making a thermite furnace (never mind that its a bad idea). I was educated as to the need to contact the ATF for legal reasons. So I did. If anybody is doing anything that might require a permit and doesn't know anything about it, you can print out the form here:

http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f540013.pdf

Mail that in, plus the fees, and it should be all good providing you have legit reasons for needing it. Hope this keeps somebody out of jail  ;D

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
Re:This might be useful to some people
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 07:48:46 PM »
Before mailing the ATF form in:

1. Make sure your ducks are in a row.  The ATF doesn't like having their time wasted.  If you are making something that requires a magazine to store, have the magazine ready before you apply for a permit.

2. The LEUP (Low Explosives Users Permit) is sometimes referred to as the LicensE to search yoUr Property.  Think about that.

Corvettaholic

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 02:02:23 PM »
Yeah, I don't plan on mailing it in until I finish redoing my shed for storage use. I think if you're willing to pay those kind of fee's, then you're actually serious about experimentation and have actually done some safety homework. I don't plan on getting hurt, nor do I plan on playing with dangerous stuff on a large scale. With the exception of the thermite furnace if I ever get around to it. Also the way I figure it, if you actually bother to get a license, as opposed to making stuff unlicensed, you're most likely not a terrorist and being searched shouldn't be a problem. Just my two cents though.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 07:24:17 PM »
Being searched isn't a problem if you're not a terrorist, unless you have improper storage of things that have nothing to do with fireworks.  Have any firearms that aren't stored properly?  How about extra black powder laying around for them?  As soon as you get a magazine for LE storage, you need to put your BP in ther as well.  Although they won't give a crap about things like expired license plate tags on your car, they can prosecute you for any violations on things that fall into their jurisdiction, even if they have nothing to do with your magazine.

Also, you have to get state and local permits as well.  Plus, you need to check everything out with your local fire marshall as well.  Call your ATF office, talk to the local agent who's in charge, then talk to the local and state fire marshalls.  It might cost you more than just the federal permits.  Although I could get a federal permit while living here in CA, I couldn't get a local permit, so my money would be wasted.

Corvettaholic

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 07:33:07 PM »
You know, I didn't even consider anything below the federal level. Thing is, Arizona is really relaxed on a lot of things, so it shouldn't be too big of an issue. And the only firearm I used is stashed in an US Army armory, with enough to security to stop a diamond thief. Its kind of neat how the armory is put together. I'll definantly check on local laws before I invest money in a federal permit.

Offline Scratch-

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +6/-4
  • llamas, eat my bazooka!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 08:15:23 PM »
It would be neat to be a pyrotechnics expert.  ;D
Hydrochloric acid, guaranteed to make you lose weight!

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 05:33:50 AM »
It would be neat to be a pyrotechnics expert.  ;D

U ought to join the army. It will give u legal permit to do anything pyrotechnic for the betterment of watever weapon u want to improvise (eg. propane-powered catapult)
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Corvettaholic

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 12:03:19 PM »
I am in the army, and I can't do jack currently. If I'm out in the field and I happen to have a thing of propane laying around and I NEED to blow somebody up... its called being field expedient. But yeah, the military gives me now leeway on stuff like this, the only thing I get is more jail time if I do something wrong.

On second thought, I suppose if you were part of a munitions MOS, you could get away with some stuff.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 12:03:50 PM by Corvettaholic »

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 01:46:47 PM »
Corvett is serving the US Army? Bet ya probably an officer cadet attending college at one of the military universities. Hear such schools are very hard to get in. What army vocation are u anyway?

I m in the Repulic of Singapore Air Force.. but I'm so proud to finally leave this organisation very soon. I don't enjoy military life as a whole, being on standby 24/7, but I love the life-saving nature of my job - might as well be a lifeguard at some private swimming pool or a nudist beach. LOL
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Corvettaholic

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 01:59:30 PM »
Not an officer yet, I'm an 54B in the US Army Reserve. Means I do bio/chem/nuclear defense and detection. What I REALLY do is gas mask maintenance, gas people on training missions, and teach people about stuff. Speaking of which, I'm heading to San Francisco tomorrow for more military duty, and I just got back last Sunday. But as far as the military universities, yeah they're hard to get into. I'm taking the NCO path until my enlistment is up.

I always thought they would teach chemistry when I was in chem school, but it was all focused on how to survive an attack, and how all the equipment works. I DID get exposed to sarin gas and VX nerve agent though, that was kind of neat.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 03:20:32 PM »
That's so cool.. reminds me of the movie "the rock" starring Sean Connery.

Corvettaholic

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 03:39:33 PM »
Remember that needle for the antidote? Its the actual size, but its contained in an auto-injector and it goes in the side of your leg instead of your heart. And there is 2 needles, first comes the atropine then the 2 pan chloride, or something like that. I think I heard of military atropine being used as a form of speed, but thats really really dangerous. Without the 2nd shot, your heart will probably burn out from being in "turbo" mode for so long.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 07:40:21 PM »
I don't think I'd like being exposed to sarin and VX.  However, if you're looking to be able to blow things up, you should transfer to EOD.  They do quite a bit of that, and their preferred method of destroying things is blowing them up.

Also, you said you're going to be in SF today?  Both Mitch and I are just across the bay.  I don't know what you schedule is like with the Army, but drop me or Mitch a private message and maybe we can meet up if you've got time.

Corvettaholic

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2004, 01:11:19 PM »
I just got back from SF, and I had practically no free time. If was one big mess, as per usual army regulation. But I bet I'll be out there again in the near future, then I'll definantly give you guys a ring. It was kind of a last minute thing before, because there was a problem getting my orders from the 63rd RSC.

Sponsored Links