March 29, 2024, 03:18:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Deionising radioactive solutions  (Read 9538 times)

Offline jamiest

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Deionising radioactive solutions
« on: June 13, 2011, 12:01:01 PM »
Hello Chemical Forums members and thank-you for your time in reading this post.

I posted this elsewhere on the site without seeing that there was a dedicated nuclear chemistry forum.  Oops.  Anyway...

A man dying of cancer pressed some papers into one of my family's hands.  He had no living family to give them to and wanted to thank her for her kindness... it turns out to be a patent specification and the problem is that I have absolutely no idea as to whether it's of any value/whether it should be kept, thrown away, framed?

The patent is "Improvements in or relating to the Deionising of Solutions", number 1,090,051, invented by John Kennedy, John William Alfred Peckett and Roland Perkins.  It seems to pertain to the treatment and decontamination of radioactive aqueous solutions by use of hydrated titanium oxide.

I'm no chemist and for all I know a superior method may have been discovered.  However a voice in my head thought it worthy of investigation and I would be extremely grateful for any help... or even a pointer in the right direction.

Best regards and thanks if you can help...

Jamie

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Deionising radioactive solutions
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 05:24:58 PM »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
Re: Deionising radioactive solutions
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 04:42:54 AM »
Also note

Patent Assignee: (to United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority)

So the patent was not the property of the individual who gave it to you anyway.  They may have been one of the inventors but they did not own the patent right themselves.

Sponsored Links