April 25, 2024, 02:58:46 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: IQ test :(  (Read 14534 times)

Offline kevinnn

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
IQ test :(
« on: June 13, 2011, 11:05:31 PM »
  Okay, now this was the biggest downer that i have had in a long time.  now i know this may not be legit but i took a online IQ test, a couple actually, and my IQ is 93!!!!!! i don't care if the test was professional or not, what is up with this!  i am so pissed off, i have taken a professional IQ test before as well and i remember that it was about average as well(some areas i was way above average and others i was below). This is a major problem, i missed a lot of the questions and for the most part i did find them difficult.  For the stuff i like and enjoy doing, physics and chemistry, this IQ is a problem. how big of a problem do u think this will be?? thanks for any advice.         

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: IQ test :(
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 11:10:09 PM »
If you took a professional (psychologist-administered) IQ test, you should have a detailed report available (these analyses go deeper than your score, e.g. judging the validity of the score based on several factors).  I'm not a psychologist though, so I feel I'd be overstepping bounds to comment much more.

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 11:35:34 PM »
Have you taken any science courses?

Those are a better indicator of how you'll do in science than an IQ test.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 05:39:07 PM »
90-110 Normal or average intelligence

seems like you are normal

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 06:42:54 PM »
I never take online tests seriously.  They usually say I schizophrenic. 

Link to this online test?  I am curious.

carlos sagan

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 04:15:15 AM »
 ;D I wouldn't worry about an online IQ test.  They're so short that 1 or 2 missed questions probably make all the difference.

Real IQ tests need to be administered by a psychologist and are much more intensive and long than a 20 question internet test.

rausitis

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 05:30:31 AM »
Just ignore this tests score.

If you want to be sure then try to fill at least few online IQ tests and then check what is your score

Of course most of IQ tests available online are far from perfect and won't be accurate but if you fill many of them you will see some trend

Offline SirRoderick

• Mole Snacks: +10/-1
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 02:43:20 PM »
First of all, that score is witin the average score range and secondly those test really are not very good.

I did a few a while back and I scored anywhere from 110 to 140. The actual score from a "legitimate" test is a much better indicator, but still it only takes certain things into account and is not a proper representative value.

Offline BluePill

• Mole Snacks: +6/-2
  • Difficult is never synonymous to impossible.
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 09:15:45 PM »
Online tests are not legitimate, per se. I had score ranging from 109-160 before. If you really want a real IQ test, go to a LEGAL psychometric testing center.

Offline RoseFr

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 12:07:54 PM »
When I was a student our teacher of psychology gave us a test on IQ. It took us about 30 minutes. So I think online tests can't show your real performance.

Offline hurricane

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 08:58:07 PM »
Way, way back when I took psychology, I remember learning that it is almost impossible to design a true IQ test - most of them turn out to be tests of knowledge. As you get older, you gain more knowledge, so in tests on knowledge older people are bound to do better than younger ones. A real IQ test is supposed to test how your brain works to figure out problems, not how much you know. It is also highly inaccurate to give an IQ test to anyone over the age of 16, because at the age of 16 your brain is mature enough to use all types of reasoning, and as you get older your greater knowledge will skew the results. A true IQ test is administered one on one so the tester can see how you approach a problem, not whether or not you have a memorized answer.
In addition to all of this, in more recent times, scientists have identified different types of intelligence - like you could be very advanced at solving analytical problems but not have any common sense. Some people can absorb vast amounts of knowledge but not be great thinkers.
My oldest daughter was tested when she was 7 and her IQ was determined to be over 140. However, she doesn't have much common sense and she has made poor life choices. When she was tested, the school warned us that kids with very high IQ's are more likely to use drugs, battle depression and commit suicide. She did well in school, of course, but she just took the LSAT and although she scored well, she did not score high enough to get into a top tier school.
My son, on the other hand, was never identified as being gifted, flunked the 8th grade, barely made it through high school, and now runs a highly successful website. His work involves writing complex programs and continually solving problems which most people would be incapable of, and most people who know him through his work think of him as highly intelligent.
An online intelligence test is just supposed to be fun, like those tests to find your personality type, or the best type of spouse for you that you always find in magazines. They are not scientifically designed. I hope this makes you feel better.

Offline Fluoroantimonicacid

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 01:37:02 AM »
I don't believe these online tests, when I did them they gave me 110-140 range.

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 04:47:02 AM »
Have you considered the chance that you are just a bit thick?

Offline Manda301

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 12:27:47 PM »
i think it is totally stupid to do iq tests, wether online or not. those never say anything about your specific skills and personality and what u are able of. usually they just put stupid tasks in there which are more dependent on allround knowledge and timemangement!    so  head up ;)  do not care about them at all! :)

Offline kevinnn

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 02:18:45 PM »
Great, thanks for all the feed back everyone.

Sponsored Links