March 29, 2024, 02:19:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: copolymer/homopolymer mixture  (Read 4611 times)

Offline alexanderdundua

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
copolymer/homopolymer mixture
« on: June 14, 2011, 11:12:50 AM »
need ideas.
How would you distinguish weather your polymer is a pure copolymer or contains certain amount of homopolymer.
Extraction is not an option! :(

Offline typhoon2028

• Mole Snacks: +18/-12
Re: copolymer/homopolymer mixture
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 02:20:57 PM »
Try DSC.

Homo and copolymer should have different melting points.

Offline alexanderdundua

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 10:12:13 AM »
already on it; after glass transitions though. any other ideas?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 10:13:23 AM »
I suppose you know what the plastic family is, for instance polyoxomethylene and polyoxoethylene.

One excellent method is to measure the density then. On a cylinder or a brick, you measure the dimensions with 10-3 accuracy at least, scales give you the mass at least as precisely. Since POM-H and POM-C differ by several %, you get a definite answer. Be careful with humidity absorption in PVC-PVA and in PA.

If you only have one object of this polymer, you might try to adjust a liquid mixture until the object just sinks in it. I haven't done it by myself; check for bubbles.

In the case of POM, you could pyrolyse it to determine what proportion of C makes the initial mass: big difference between -C-O- and -C-C-O-. Less huge with polystyrene copolymers and with polyamides, bad with polyolefins.

Then you have the low-tech methods, which require reference samples. Burn chips, compare the smells, the fumes, the flames and droplets. Or scratch the surface with a needle, feel the movement with your fingers. These are rather mechanics workshop methods, probably not what people expect from a chemistry lab.

Sponsored Links