April 19, 2024, 01:59:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Post-graduate studies  (Read 3692 times)

Offline BluePill

• Mole Snacks: +6/-2
  • Difficult is never synonymous to impossible.
Post-graduate studies
« on: June 19, 2011, 07:51:59 AM »
Hi,

I am deciding whether I should take Bachelor of Science (Hons) or Master of Science (Coursework) here in Australia. My research supervisor told be that if I want to pursue a PhD degree in the near future I should do BS (Hons). Out of curiosity, I looked into the course syllabus of BS (Hons) and MSc. MSc has more subjects and other nonsense subjects while BS (Hons) have only 6 subjects in a year. I am worried that if I go from BSc (Hons) to PhD I will be half-baked.  My undergrad studies from another country was too easy for me (except for biochemistry). I don't even have to study for my quizzes then and I graduated top of my batch. However, I still feel like I am still not knowledgeable in chemistry.

So here are my questions:

1. Should I take Bachelor of Science (Hons) or Master of Science (Coursework) if I want to do PhD and work in the academia?
2. Is it possible to get undergraduate units in post-graduate studies just to supplement my knowledge?

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: Post-graduate studies
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 10:10:29 AM »
If you have a BS already, apply to graduate school (PhD) program now.
Most people feel they are not ready. And if you get there and find out you are not, you work extra hard on your own and learn the information. You do not have to have lectures to learn the information.

Offline BluePill

• Mole Snacks: +6/-2
  • Difficult is never synonymous to impossible.
Re: Post-graduate studies
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 11:17:36 AM »
Thanks enahs. I will try that.

Sponsored Links