March 29, 2024, 05:29:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Improving Vaccum Filtration Process  (Read 3745 times)

Offline aj15

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Improving Vaccum Filtration Process
« on: June 17, 2011, 03:49:08 PM »
Hello Forum,

I am setting up a pilot scale lab. one of the unit step in the process is filtration. Considering, the financial limitation, I am using a Buchner Funnel for filtration. But this step is proving to be the bottle neck in the whole process, severely limiting the factor by which the process can be scaled up.

Is there a way around filtration or improving the this process reducing the time. I know centrifugation can be an alternative but its not financially feasible option.

Thank you,

Aj15

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: Improving Vaccum Filtration Process
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 10:33:37 AM »
How big are the particles you need to filter out?

You can modify the container and apply slight pressure to the top of the filter to make it go faster. NOT a lot of pressure!

One common mistake with filtering is everybody does it all at once. So you get your filter media clogged rapidly. You might look at doing multiple filters and stepping down through filter grade, so trapping some stuff first (big stuff), then more (medium), then all (small), etc. So you do not overload the filter and clog it making things take longer.

Offline aj15

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Improving Vaccum Filtration Process
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 03:30:40 PM »
Thank you for the reply. I am using a qualitative filter paper grade 1 which retains 11 micron particles. But considering your suggestion, I may be able to use a filter paper which retains particles more than 25 micron.

Sponsored Links