April 24, 2024, 02:20:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nylon 5-12  (Read 9766 times)

Offline Nana00

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Nylon 5-12
« on: June 24, 2011, 10:08:50 PM »
Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to draw the structure of nylon 5-12 or what site could help me with this?

Thank you!

-N

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Nylon 5-12
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 04:39:16 AM »
Start by googling Nylon, or better, look it up in the index of your textbook. What are Nylons generally composed of?

Nylon 6,6 is probably the commonest commercial Nylon - look it up and have a look at its structure. What do you think the 6,6 means? Also look up Nylon 6,10.

So what do you think Nylon 5,12 look like?
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Nana00

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 07:59:22 AM »
Hi Dan,

I did googled nylon 5-12, I found the structure for nylon 6-10 and it has pentamethylene diamine and sebacic acid, but I'm sure what they are and I don't know what should be added or removed for nylon 5-12. My textbook doesn't have anything. The professor gave us a handout and expects us to draw the structure of 5-12. She's very fond of looking things up online. I'm having trouble with both, looking it up online and understanding it.

Thanks.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 10:57:46 AM »
Hi Dan,

I did googled nylon 5-12, I found the structure for nylon 6-10 and it has pentamethylene diamine and sebacic acid, but I'm sure what they are and I don't know what should be added or removed for nylon 5-12. My textbook doesn't have anything. The professor gave us a handout and expects us to draw the structure of 5-12. She's very fond of looking things up online. I'm having trouble with both, looking it up online and understanding it.

Thanks.

Are you sure nylon 6,10 uses pentamethylene diamine (what page did you find it on)? What's the structure of sebacic acid?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 11:13:27 AM »
I found the structure for nylon 6-10 and it has pentamethylene diamine and sebacic acid, but I'm sure what they are...

As sjb said, this is not correct. Nylon 6,10 is hexamethylenediamine and sebacic acid.

Note that it is possible to google "hexamethylenediamine" and/or "sebacic acid", which is a great way to find out what they are. Learning to find the information you need independently is important - note that this is why you have not been handed the answer on a plate.

I suggest reading the wikipedia page on Nylon, there are enough hints in there to give you the answer you need, but to prod a little more:

Look up the structure of Nylon 6,6 and Nylon 6,10. Compare the structures. What is different about them? Why might you call one 6,6 but the other 6,10?
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links