March 29, 2024, 04:52:37 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can all the CO2 gas escape from the acid solution ?  (Read 4191 times)

Offline Burian

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Can all the CO2 gas escape from the acid solution ?
« on: June 23, 2011, 11:20:15 PM »
If I put some calcium carbonate into the adequate phosphoric acid solution, the resulting CO2 gas will be released from the solution. The confusion is whether all the resulting CO2 gas excape from the solution.
If there is still some residual gas in solution, how to push them away from the solution? Or to determine the amount of residual? ???

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Can all the CO2 gas escape from the acid solution ?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 03:44:39 AM »
Define "all". Carbon dioxide dissolves in liquids as every other gas. Adding acid you can convert carbonates to carbon dioxide, but you will not get rid of "just" dissolved CO2.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Burian

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 03:52:38 AM »
Define "all". Carbon dioxide dissolves in liquids as every other gas. Adding acid you can convert carbonates to carbon dioxide, but you will not get rid of "just" dissolved CO2.

Thanks^
then how can I calculate the solubility of CO2 in such a acid solution?

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 07:51:21 AM »
If there is still some residual gas in solution, how to push them away from the solution?

The two most common ways of degassing solutions are to stir them under a vacuum for several minutes, or to bubble an inert gas through them for several minutes. I deal with a lot of oxygen-sensitive reactions, and I usually employ a flush-and-fill approach - stir under vacuum for a couple of minutes, bubble nitrogen through the solution for a couple of minutes, stir under vacuum, bubble nitrogen, repeat until bored.

That won't remove any carbon dioxide bound up as carbonate, but it should remove any free carbon dioxide dissolved in your solution.

Offline Burian

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 09:32:51 PM »
If there is still some residual gas in solution, how to push them away from the solution?

The two most common ways of degassing solutions are to stir them under a vacuum for several minutes, or to bubble an inert gas through them for several minutes. I deal with a lot of oxygen-sensitive reactions, and I usually employ a flush-and-fill approach - stir under vacuum for a couple of minutes, bubble nitrogen through the solution for a couple of minutes, stir under vacuum, bubble nitrogen, repeat until bored.

That won't remove any carbon dioxide bound up as carbonate, but it should remove any free carbon dioxide dissolved in your solution.

3X very much!
I'll try your methods^

Sponsored Links