March 29, 2024, 12:58:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sweat and what reacts with it  (Read 3322 times)

Offline bteves88

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Sweat and what reacts with it
« on: June 27, 2011, 08:51:17 PM »
I am trying to find a chemical or set of chemicals that produces a cooling effect on your skin when it reacts with sweat. Thank you for all your inputs in this subject.  :)

Offline stephenball70

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Sweat and what reacts with it
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 11:57:25 PM »
Well... I guess you're looking for a compound that dissociates endothermically in water. I forget which one, but I'm pretty sure one of the nitrate salts does that.

Nothing reacts very well with sweat - seeing as it's mostly sodium chloride and water. If you're looking for something to help you cool down when you're working out, I'd forget about it. Nothing is going to work well enough to have any practical application.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 08:53:48 AM »
I've seen stuff that has a tingly effect when it gets wet.  It was some sort of nipple cream ;)

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 10:49:09 AM »
There are quite a few salts that get cold when they dissolve in water, but then you are left with the problem of salts or very high concentration salt solutions on your skin which can osmotically pull water out, drying and cracking the skin beneath.

The best cooling effect would be from something that evaporates quickly (like isopropanol) or that is pleasantly cool without adding salts (like, say, a cool spray of water?)

Offline Fluoroantimonicacid

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 05:30:43 AM »
I saw a spray made from dimethyl ether. It vaporizes quickly and make skin cool.

Offline zaphraud

• Mole Snacks: +2/-10
  • Microwave Chemist
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 01:18:37 PM »
What you want is the stuff that a turban is made of, something to wick away the sweat entirely into a fabric where it will evaporate and get cool itself. Just don't soak it in tap water ahead of time - the calcium present could ultimately reduce its effectiveness. Light coloring also will help reflect solar input ..

Sponsored Links