April 28, 2024, 08:49:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Accounting for different hydrations of salts  (Read 2249 times)

Offline gloinddark

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Accounting for different hydrations of salts
« on: August 17, 2011, 01:11:09 PM »
This is related to a biology issue. I am preparing media for cell culturing, and I need to measure out a lot of salts in very exact amounts. Sometimes, the recipe requires a salt with a certain water of hydration, and the salt which I have in my disposition has a different water of hydration.
So I tried to devise a formula to enable me to quickly convert the grams of salt.xH2O into grams of salt.yH2O

Since sometimes I struggle with numbers, I would really appreciate if someone checks it out.

Grams of salt.yH2O = [Grams of salt.xH2O  X  (Molar mass of salt y)2] / (Molar mass of salt x)2

Thanks

Offline DevaDevil

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +55/-9
  • postdoc at ANL
Re: Accounting for different hydrations of salts
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 01:40:01 PM »
why molar mass squared?

you need a fixed amount of moles I gather, which is in recipes given in grams of a certain hydrated salt, which you want to convert to grams of a differently hydrated salt

moles of salt = mass of salt / molar mass

so if you have mass of Salt.xH2O {let's call this mass (X)} given, you have: moles of salt = mass (x) / molar mass (x)
these moles need to be the same in y:
moles of salt = mass (y) / molar mass (y)

so this gives:

mass (x) / molar mass (x) = mass (y) / molar mass (y)

and solving:

mass (y) = mass (x) * molar mass (y) / molar mass (x)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 04:21:17 PM »
Check out concentration calculator - for any salt you can select which hydrate you have, calculations of mass needed to prepare solution of given concentration are carried out automatically (doesn't matter how many salts you need in your solution). This is not visible on the page I linked to, as it describes the most general and simple case, but you can download the program and use it freely for 30 days without obligations. Feel free to ask for support here ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline gloinddark

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 05:55:02 AM »
That equation makes a lot more sense than mine, DevaDevil - thank you for enlightening me!

Borek, that program will certainly come in handy!

Thanks to both :)

Sponsored Links