April 19, 2024, 12:30:25 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electrical Stimulus  (Read 11564 times)

compgeek

Electrical Stimulus
« on: June 24, 2004, 11:38:28 PM »
Ok, I'm not sure if what I'm thinking is pure science fiction, or something that has already been accomplished, so hopefully this won't come out sounding too naive.

I've been searching for some time for a material that will become more rigid if an electrical current is passed through it.  Specifically, I was looking for something that I could control the flexibility of.  If possible, something that would be quite flexible until an electrical current was passed through it.  At which point it would be quite rigid.  

Is this pure science fiction?  Or is there a material similar to this.  If you don't know, would you happen to have any advice on how to go about finding the answer on my own?

Thanks,
-----------
D[a]n

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:Electrical Stimulus
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 12:19:36 AM »
JPL/Nasa do a good job discussing such things http://ndeaa.jpl.nasa.gov/nasa-nde/lommas/eap/EAP-web.htm
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Corvettaholic

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 12:20:13 PM »
I looked at how to make some of the stuff, looks really complicated. I'm assuming your looking into this stuff for robotics related stuff?

compgeek

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 04:32:04 PM »
I actually was not looking for the answer in terms of robotics, but instead because i am attempting to make a feedback device and need something to either give, or resist.  The info on EAP is great!  thanx for the link!

Sponsored Links