March 28, 2024, 05:04:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Are there less hazardous alternatives to....  (Read 17882 times)

Offline Lowey

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Are there less hazardous alternatives to....
« on: July 06, 2011, 08:55:25 AM »
isobutanol (isobutyl alcohol) and butyl ? The reason for asking is that im looking at ways to make a workable Activator for Hydrographic Printing which is considerably less harmful than the ones currently avaliable. The common activator formula seems to be made up of:

Xylene 42%
isobutanol (isobutyl alcohol) 5%
butyl 17%
b-butanone (MEK)8%
methyl acetate 28%

Under COSHH regs here in UK Xylene, b-butanone are methyl acetate are rated low as hazardous to the individual and environment but the other two are rated as high but as they make up only 22% of the activator i was wondering if something could be used as an alternative?

Any help on this matter or even pointing me in the right direction would be most appreciative.

Thanks

Rob

Offline Stepan

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
  • Air Chemistry Man
    • Supplier of air sampling equipment and services
Re: Are there less hazardous alternatives to....
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 06:58:17 PM »
What is "butyl"?

Offline Lowey

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 12:54:37 PM »
What is "butyl"?

Hi Stepan, sorry it should read "Butyl Acetate"

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 02:48:50 PM »
Not sure because it really depends on many things. But my first guess would be to try substitution isopropanol and ethyl acetate.
In fact, maybe use all ethyl acetate, (no methyl acetate), so like 45% ethylacetate.

*shrugs*

This is one of them "try it" things.

Offline Stepan

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
  • Air Chemistry Man
    • Supplier of air sampling equipment and services
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 08:19:17 PM »
OK,

As the very crude way do sort out what might work: you need to find solvents with boiling points around ones for Buthyl Acetate and Butanol. Also, due to the nature of the process, the solvents you are looking for,  need to be insoluble in water.

The easiest way - do search  "MSDS Activator for Hydrographic Printing" it will give you picture of typical blends used in the process. Select solvents from there.

Try ethoxyethanol, propoxyethanol and or butoxyethanol - they should be inexpensive, but do not know anything about their toxicity.

Offline Lowey

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 10:18:41 AM »
Thanks enahs and stepan  :) i shall search for the MSDS data sheets and see what i can find out.

After some more research i found another formula using just 3 chemicals:
Butoxyethoxy or Ethyl Acetate (as you guys mentioned)
Butoxyenthanol
Butyl Benzyl Phthalate (although this one from what i understand is quite harmful)

I'll keep you posted if i can find a non toxic environmentally sound alternative.

Thanks again  8)

Offline T_N_collection

• Very New Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 12:56:52 AM »
isobutanol (isobutyl alcohol) and butyl ? The reason for asking is that im looking at ways to make a workable Activator for Hydrographic Printing which is considerably less harmful than the ones currently avaliable. The common activator formula seems to be made up of:

Xylene 42%
isobutanol (isobutyl alcohol) 5%
butyl 17%
b-butanone (MEK)8%
methyl acetate 28%

Under COSHH regs here in UK Xylene, b-butanone are methyl acetate are rated low as hazardous to the individual and environment but the other two are rated as high but as they make up only 22% of the activator i was wondering if something could be used as an alternative?

Any help on this matter or even pointing me in the right direction would be most appreciative.

Thanks

Rob

formula for activators A that if you know

Sponsored Links