April 23, 2024, 06:21:12 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help With Chem 12 Project  (Read 7473 times)

KAV

Help With Chem 12 Project
« on: September 27, 2005, 11:06:23 PM »
Hi everyone

I recently got assigned a project in my chem 12 class. We are currently studying the five factors that affect the rate of chemical reactions (concentration, temperature, nature of reactants, catalyst, and surface area). The objective of the project is to design a lab that involves chemicals found in the classroom to clearly demonstrate each factor. After getting the lab approved, I have to carry out the lab and then write up a report, including a graph. So I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on what chemicals to do, what kind of procedures to use to show each factor?

Thanks!!  ;D

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re:Help With Chem 12 Project
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 11:24:31 PM »
Can you list some of your own ideas first and then we can tell you our thoughts, cheers.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

KAV

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 12:00:21 AM »
Well, I was planning on simple chemicals to suit the factors easily, but this is a difficult choice in itself, because what if the reaction reacts fast (under 1s) under room temp. ? Then we won't be able to do the temperature part effectively. We want something that can maybe go slowly at room temp, and go fast maybe at 20 degrees higher, then we have results.

we thought of Ca(aq) + CO3(aq) = CaCo3(s)

But this was a situation of the one above, so we couldn't use this one very well. Thats why i was hoping you guys might have a good idea for a good chemical equation.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 03:21:27 AM »
Hint: if surface area effect is to be measured, one of the reagents used should be solid.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 03:27:25 AM »
What makes you think we know what Chem 12 is?
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Karakth

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 05:15:27 AM »
Ca(aq) + CO3 (aq) --> CaCO3 (s)

Quantitatively you will have to measure the weight of CaCO3 produced after a period of time to measure rate of reaction. That can be kind of tricky. What you want is something like a gas produced which you can then measure in a syringe.

Also, do you need to use the same reaction to demonstrate each factor?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 05:38:47 AM »
What you want is something like a gas produced which you can then measure in a syringe.

So KAV already knows that it have to be reaction with solid phase and gas producing.

Enough hints I suppose ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

KAV

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 07:09:06 PM »
Yes, its the same reaction , except that the reaction undergoes different reaction factors. For example, one reaction will include bigger and smaller surface area, another will incorporate the use of a catalyst, and so on. So whats a good reaction that can effectively include all of this. thanks.

saibot

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 08:34:24 PM »
What makes you think we know what Chem 12 is?

I assumed it meant 12th grade Chemisty.

KAV

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 12:42:03 AM »
^ yea...it means 12th grade chem..hence the reason why I put it in High School Chemistry Help Forum

Karakth

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 04:10:13 PM »
I don't see why you have to use the same reaction. I mean, it's harder to find a reaction that is affected by all those variables. At the end of the day you want to see the effect of changing those variables on the rate of reaction, so you can have x reactions compared to x controls, no?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 04:12:03 PM by Karakth »

Sponsored Links