March 28, 2024, 11:05:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electrons in Electricity - What are they ?  (Read 3318 times)

Oldtimer

Electrons in Electricity - What are they ?
« on: September 28, 2005, 03:58:47 PM »
Hello;

I'm an oldtimer and I don't want to irritate anyone with a nagging question of mine. But I have my degree in Chemstry and Computer Science {double Major} already and the advent of Zero Point Energy has me questioning a basic concept of energy again.

Exactly why are electrons the prefered transfered energy in common electrical current to some people ? I was convinced that electron "potential" was the underlying reason for current. I read with interest the primer here on NMR. From it I felt much better with the concept of energy transfer {expressed with an electron in the energy unit sense I guess}. It's not really the physical electron of the elemental copper { for instance} but rather a created electron energy potential right ?

The production of Electrons subsequently displacing other electrons' orbit's in a pathway or conduit of wire with a temporary elevated energy seems to me to be the actual process of flowing current.

Yet Physicists have doggedly argued that actual electrons { with dimension and charge both} are the transported item rather than the media.

I am confused?

This situation seems to be overly complex to me. The Potential energy shifting down the pathway of succeeding atoms feels the most applicable routine. Any mass increase could simply be due to the temporary increase in density of the charged atom.

I really don't like Physics.

Thank you.

Oldtimer

Re:Electrons in Electricity - What are they ?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 12:29:33 AM »
Never mind. I was struggling to remember 'skin effect', and the effect is reliant on a high frequency current.

Go ahead and reply if you want though, I'll watch just in case. I went to a Physics forum already and stated the same concept and none could recall 'skin effect' without the exact reference I guess.

I would have thought a super collider operator would know of the concept and law though.

Here is a link to a Fermilab paper on the issue, note the active chart which shows the variance:

http://fermi.la.asu.edu/w9cf/skin/
Thanks again.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 12:30:30 AM by Oldtimer »

Sponsored Links