June 15, 2024, 08:21:29 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Alkaline solutions in closed loop water cooling systems... bad or good?  (Read 4400 times)

Offline archmagi101

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello all!  I am currently in the process of setting up a water cooling system for a PC, and have a question in regards to the effects a higher pH alkaline solution would have on the copper radiator blocks, and if the alkaloid in question could have any additional issues it could cause.  I will explain.

I am attempting to visually recreate the Cherenkov Effect within the confines of my computer rig, and after several hours delving through various internet forums and posts, I came across an interesting solution; Quinine.  Quinine, when exposed to UV light, glows an ghostly bluish tinge very similar to the desired color scheme, so it seemed like it had great potential.  Unfortunately, I discovered that just 1 gram added to 1.9L of distilled water created an alkaline solution with a pH of >9.5. 

I am curious as to what sort of issues might arise from using such a solution within a cooling system.  The majority of components are either brass, copper, or nickel, as well as plastic tubing (probably some version of Tygon).  How much corrosion would stem from having such a high pH solution in a cooling system like this?  Temperatures will probably range from room ambient to 5-10 degrees higher; will this cause any adverse reactions?

I do apologize for the length of my question, but beyond a couple posts discussing the benefits of corrosion inhibitors and their inherent high pHs, I have found nothing relevant to using Quinine as a basic in this sort of system.  Certainly seems like a lot of effort for something visually appealing, but it also has the potential for causing less damage than various color-added coolants.

Thank you for any replies.

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
http://www.sandvik.com/sandvik/0140/internet/se01659.nsf/HandbookWeb/E17B1ADC80978BB64125662D003B2A41

http://www.deepdyve.com/lp/springer-journals/eco-friendly-corrosion-inhibitors-inhibitive-action-of-quinine-for-4u0m9t0umX

One source claims it will corrode steel, another claims it will inhibit the corrosion of steel. Seems kind of dicey.

You could try putting a piece of copper tubing in your solution and see what the effect is, but if you're running this through valuble equipment I would err on the side of caution.

There are other fluorescent blue dyes out there besides quinine. Shop around the interwebs and see what they turn up.
Individual results may vary

Offline archmagi101

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Thank you for the quick reply, Honclbrif.  The bottom link got me browsing through various eco-friendly corrosive inhibitor journal entries, so I have far more material to read up on this topic, now, which is awesome.  I agree that a personal experiment might be needed, possibly with a tonic water substitute for the time being ( sugarless and sans carbonation, of course  :) ) just to see if it has any obvious, short-term degradation with various copper and brass components.  I will try to follow up in the future with what I discover, and thanks again.

Offline nox

• Mole Snacks: +11/-3
I wonder if Methylene Blue would work for your purpose.

Sponsored Links