March 28, 2024, 09:57:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Blue colored metal (pure color, not because painted)  (Read 28789 times)

Offline gong

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Blue colored metal (pure color, not because painted)
« on: July 21, 2011, 04:31:06 AM »
Hello everyone,

Maybe my question are silly question, but I'm curious,

I think all of you know about "mythril" , it's really exist or just fiction?  ???
if it's real what the type of metal (steel or pure metal)

actually whether blue colored metal (not because blue painted) exist in the world?
if exist, could you told to me? (other than "mythril" if "mythril" really exist)

Because much RPG game always available "mythril" and usually weapon that contain "mythril" always colored blue.
for example:
- mythril sword, mythril dagger or etc

Please someone told to me
Hope you don't angry with me  ;)

Thank you

Thank you very much

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
Re: Blue colored metal (pure color, not because painted)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 04:36:26 AM »
Anodize niobium with 12V.  Instant passivisation with a thin blue layer of oxide.  I have photos somewhere, but no idea where, from when I did this.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 08:23:52 AM »
The mythical metal "mythril" found in many fantasy sources all traces back to the writings of J. R. R. Tolkien.  Its completely mythical.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithril  Even wikipedia has gotten tired of listing them all.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
AWK

Offline gong

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 11:27:57 PM »
I saw Niobium not blue colored :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niobium

Offline FreeTheBee

• Mole Snacks: +12/-1
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 03:23:31 AM »
Not Niobium as such, but anodised, as 408 mentioned. A thin oxide layer on the surface makes it look blue, the same goes for titanium.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 03:05:18 PM »
Even steel can be blued, but it takes a lot of work, skill, and practice to get a blue color rather than grey or black.

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 10:00:06 AM »
There is an alloy of gold-aluminum that look purple. Sometimes they use it in jewelry. They make most of the ring in yellow gold and some parts on top of gold-aluminum and put a few diamonds.

Besides that, I think mercury-potassium has a purple color too (from my own experience).

Besides those, zinc seems to have a slight blue hue. It is very little. Perhaps it has a small absorption band in blue.
Most metals have a strong absorption band in the ultra-violet region and they just tend to reflect most of the visible spectrum.

Offline stevet

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 05:23:01 PM »
Osmium metal is sometimes described as having a blue cast.

Offline gong

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 12:29:01 AM »
Hello everyone,

thank you for reply, here I got some picture about colored metal:

I think blue and red color at the top of bullet not painted using paint.  But it's coated by metal

and if not objection can you told to me, the name of metal that colored red at the top of bullet

I gotten this image from wikipedia

Sorry maybe it's difficult and troublesome

But thank you all for the answer

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 05:14:31 AM »
That is either painted or is a plastic tip.  The plastic tip can mean the ammo is expanding on impact.  When painted it usually is used to denote either armour piercing, tracer, incendiary, APIT, etc.  I know my tracers always have the tip painted orange.  
Those look like plastic tips, in 5.7x28 mm rounds and my trip to wiki confirms this:  From left to right:

"SS195LF (lead free)
    The SS195LF is a commercially available cartridge that features a lead-free primer and produces ballistics similar to the SS192 round, which it replaced in late 2004.[43] It uses the same 1.8-g (28 grain) copper-jacketed aluminum core bullet as the SS192, and it can be identified by the unmarked, hollow void at the tip and the silver-colored primer.[19] The SS195 is classified by the ATF as not armor-piercing, and it is currently manufactured by FN Herstal in Belgium.[7][26] "

"SS196SR (sporting round)

The SS196SR was introduced in 2005 and it is now discontinued in favor of the SS197SR cartridge.[27] It featured a lead core 2.6-g (40 grain) Hornady V-Max bullet which it propelled at a muzzle velocity of roughly 500 m/s (1,650 ft/s) when fired from the Five-seven.[27] The polycarbonate tip used in the V-Max bullet acts as a wedge, enhancing expansion of the bullet. The SS196 was classified by the ATF as not armor-piercing, and in testing by FNH USA it did not penetrate a Level II vest when fired from the Five-seven.[26] The SS196 can be identified by its red polymer tip.[43]

SS197SR (sporting round)

The SS197SR is currently offered to civilian shooters in addition to the SS195LF.[45] It uses the same lead core 2.6-g (40 grain) Hornady V-Max projectile as the SS196SR,[7] but it is loaded for a muzzle velocity roughly 30-m/s (100 ft/s) higher. The projectile has a blue-colored polymer tip instead of the red color used in the SS196 projectile tip.[19] The SS197 is currently manufactured by Fiocchi under contract for FN Herstal[7][46][47] and it is distributed in the United States by Federal Cartridge Company.[19][45] "

Note the phrase "polymer tip"

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 08:08:22 AM »
It is pretty clear to me that it isn't metal.
Ever seen a piece of red leggo or blue leggo piece?

Sponsored Links