March 28, 2024, 05:24:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Will a carbonyl containing molecule affect a solutions cation concentrations?  (Read 2296 times)

Offline kenshi64

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Well That's why I thought a thought provoking project, I learned in class of Oxygen's tendency to bond to positive ions, so I though lets put this idea through a test. And please cite a resource for your belief since It can be incorporated into my hypothesis and so that I can show it to my teacher too, Thanks a million!! 

Carbonyl:

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Well That's why I thought a thought provoking project, I learned in class of Oxygen's tendency to bond to positive ions, so I though lets put this idea through a test. And please cite a resource for your belief since It can be incorporated into my hypothesis and so that I can show it to my teacher too, Thanks a million!! 

Carbonyl:

The lone pairs will bind to a variety of metal cations, for example aluminum, zinc, lithium boron and so on. Think about Lewis acids and bases.
You will have do do your own literature work as it is your idea not mine, so you will need to find evidence to support it yourself.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
There are many mechanisms in which carboncations of the carbonyl groups occur. In order to appreciate the basicity of different oxygen atoms, you may wish to look up the pKa of the conjugate acids of the carbonyl compounds. A table in which many acids are listed can be found in Hans Reich's website, http://www.chem.wisc.edu/areas/organic/index-chem.htm.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links